Home Affairs Minister Temporarily Blocks 1 Member of ‘ISIS Bride’ Party From Returning

Tony Burke says security agencies advised one order, but ‘have not provided advice’ on whether others meet the legal threshold for exclusion.
Home Affairs Minister Temporarily Blocks 1 Member of ‘ISIS Bride’ Party From Returning
Tony Burke, the minister for the Arts, Home Affairs, Cyber, Immigration, and Citizenship addresses the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra, Australia on Feb. 4, 2026. Hilary Wardhaugh/Getty Images
|Updated:
0:00

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke has temporarily barred one of the 34 “ISIS brides” and children attempting to return to Australia from north-eastern Syria.

The cohort—34 Australians including 11 women and 23 children—departed the Al Roj camp earlier this week trying to get to Damascus but was forced back after Syrian authorities said the journey was not properly coordinated with officials.