Ebola Risk in Congo Elevated to ‘Very High’ at National Level, WHO Says

At least 82 cases have been confirmed in Congo so far, including seven confirmed deaths.
Ebola Risk in Congo Elevated to ‘Very High’ at National Level, WHO Says
A health worker takes the temperature of an M23 rebel outside the laboratory where samples from suspected Ebola cases are examined, in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, on May 19, 2026. Arlette Bashizi/Reuters
|Updated:
0:00

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on May 22 that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo now poses “very high” risk at the national level, with 82 confirmed infections to date.

Speaking at a press conference, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the outbreak is “spreading rapidly” in Congo, but the public health risk remains low at the global level.
Google LogoMark Us Preferred on Google