Diphtheria Outbreak Australia’s Worst in Decades, Says Health Minister

As of May 19, 133 cases of the illness have been reported in the Northern Territory, 79 in Western Australia, six in South Australia and five in Queensland.
Diphtheria Outbreak Australia’s Worst in Decades, Says Health Minister
Australian Minister for Health and Aged Care Mark Butler addresses the media at Parliament House in Canberra, Australia on March 30, 2023. Martin Ollman/Getty Images
|Updated:
0:00

Diphtheria cases in Australia are increasing and Health Minister Mark Butler says it is the worst outbreak Australia has seen in many years.

“We’re very concerned about this,” he told ABC Radio.

Google LogoMark Us Preferred on Google
Crystal-Rose Jones
Crystal-Rose Jones
Author
Crystal-Rose Jones is a reporter based in Australia. She previously worked at News Corp for 16 years as a senior journalist and editor.