Woman Survives Armed Robbery After Gun Fails to Fire

September 17, 2017 Updated: September 17, 2017

Miracles do happen.

A Chicago woman is thanking God for escaping unharmed after an armed assailant tried to rob and shoot her Sept. 9.

Marnita Carter, 54, was waiting at a bus stop early in the morning when a young man, later identified as 23-year-old Dennis Evans, came up and stuck a gun in her face. Carter grabbed the gun from him and they struggled on the ground with her managing to get a shot off that hit Evans’s hand, according to a Chicago Tribune report.

Then Evans got the gun back and pointed it at her chest.

Evans reportedly told Carter: “[Expletive], you shot me with my own gun. Now I’m gonna shoot your [expletive],” Chicago police said in a report after the incident.

But the gun miraculously jammed, and Evans ran away. Carter thanked God.

“I was shocked that it didn’t go off again,” she told the Tribune a day after the attack. “It was the Lord—that’s what it was.”

Just a few minutes later and about four blocks away, police arrested Evans at his home where he lived with his mother and two sisters.

A judge ordered Evans to be held without bail. He faces charges of attempted murder and attempted robbery.

Carter, a mother of three, told the Tribune that she works in a hotel kitchen across town and was walking about two blocks from her South Side apartment to catch the bus at around 6 a.m. when she noticed Evans.

Carter recalled thinking the man was either drunk or mentally ill before he a pulled the gun out and threatened to steal her purse and other bags.

“The minute he pulled it out, he cocked it. And I thought, ‘I have to think of something,'” she told the Tribune.

She recalled seeing people across the street at the time, so she screamed for help, but no one arrived.

“I had to do what God gave me the strength to do: Defend myself,” she told the Tribune.

As they wrestled over the gun, Carter remembers some men started crossing the street and yelling at Evans to leave Carter alone. But he then told the men she “had something of mine.”

Carter screamed that she was being robbed and that her attacker had a gun, but the men went back across the street.

“That made me angry. I’m fighting a big man over the gun, and I didn’t see them no more,” she told the Tribune.

Police said the man was 6 feet tall and 200 pounds. Carter said she is 5 feet, 6 inches tall and 160 pounds.

“That’s when I closed my eyes and just pressed the button,” she said, describing the trigger.

The bullet hit Evans’s left hand, police said, but it didn’t take him out. After a tussle, he managed to get the gun back.

With the gun pointed at her chest, she said she thought of her three kids, ages 16, 17 and 37.

“I thought, ‘This is it,'” she recalled. “I thought, ‘I’m saying goodbye to my kids.'”

Carter saw Evans pull the trigger, she heard a click, but felt no bullet.

Police later found the a gun under a parked car with six rounds of live ammunition in it, the Tribune reported.

From NTD.tv