Woman Suffers Severe Burns as Gasoline Pumped Into Garbage Can Ignites

February 19, 2018 Updated: February 19, 2018

A woman was severely burned when gasoline fumes ignited as gas was being pumped into a garbage can in a car’s backseat in Washington over the weekend.

The woman was rushed to the hospital on Saturday morning, Feb. 17.

Her companion was pumping gas into the garbage can when the fumes ignited, the Grand County Sheriff’s Office said in a release posted to Facebook.

“The female passenger, who was smoking a cigarette, apparently caused the fumes to ignite, engulfing the car. The woman got out of the car but sustained severe burns. A bystander drove her to Samaritan Healthcare in Moses Lake for treatment. Her current condition is unknown,” the office said.

The male driver fled the scene on foot.

A photo of the scene at Cascade Grocery from the office showed the car almost completely burned.


It appeared to be undrivable in the condition it was left in after the fire.

“After the fire was out, deputies discovered a large quantity of marijuana in the trunk of the car. The vehicle was seized as evidence,” the office added.

The sheriff’s office is investigating the incident.

Anyone with information should contact the office at 509-762-1160 or email crimetips@grantcountywa.gov. Tipsters can remain anonymous.

From NTD.tv

 

Recommended Video:

Follow Zachary on Twitter: @zackstieber