A woman who survived being stabbed multiple times near a Perth train station in Australia has said she thought she was going to die over a cheap mobile phone.
Stella Trevisani, 27, had finished her waitressing shift at a restaurant and was walking alone to Claisebrook station on Saturday night, March 17, when she was allegedly set upon by a 15-year-old boy for her $100 mobile phone.
Trevisani, who is from Italy and has been in Australia for about two years, said she had a brief struggle with her alleged attacker before she realised she had been stabbed.
“I resisted and I fought back but I didn’t realise he had a knife,” Trevisani told The West Australian from the hospital.
“I thought he was just punching me and pulling me.
“He smashed me against the wall and then he said, ‘If you don’t give me your phone I’m going to stab you everywhere’.
“That was the moment I thought this is serious, and I let the phone go but then he stabbed me in the leg again and I fell over.”
The 27-year-old was stabbed five times in her arms, shoulder, and leg, reported the newspaper. While laying in a pool of blood, Trevisani recalled her thinking she was going to die.
“The moment I fell down I felt I was surrounded by my blood because it was all warm,” she told the newspaper.
“I thought I would die because as everybody knows there is a big vein in your leg. I could see the blood springing out and I said to myself, ‘I am going to die’. I called out help, help but I was getting weaker so I stopped yelling and I started getting nausea and feeling really cold.”
Fortunately, transit officers and nearby residents heard Trevisani’s plea and ran to help the injured woman.
Police allege that after the attack, the teen fled on a bicycle along Kensington Street. He was arrested about 300 metres (984 feet) from where the alleged attack occurred.
The teen, who has not been named, has been charged with aggravated armed robbery and grievous bodily harm, reported the newspaper. He appeared in Perth Children’s Court on Sunday and told the magistrate he wanted to plead guilty.
He was due to appear in court again on Monday morning, March 19, but was ordered to be removed from the courthouse because he was repeatedly kicking the door of his holding cell, reported The West Australian.
“Given the thumping downstairs, I’m not prepared to have him in my courtroom,” Magistrate Andree Horrigan said, reported the newspaper.
“I need him removed from the building as soon as possible.”
When he appeared again in a later court hearing on Monday, he told the judge that he wanted to take responsibility for his alleged crime so that he could have the “punishment done today.” However, the magistrate told the teenager that his charges were serious and he should speak to a lawyer first.
Defence lawyer Claire Rossi told the court the 15-year-old has a mild intellectual disability and may not fully understand the gravity of his charges, reported The West Australian.
He is due to appear in court again on Thursday, March 22.
Trevisani told the newspaper that she has had two surgeries and her rehabilitation process could take few months. She added that despite the attack, she still wants to call Perth her home, reported 7News.