Former President Donald Trump on Thursday again slammed the ongoing investigation on records that federal agents seized from his Mar-a-Lago home last month, calling the search and seizure a “hoax.”
This came after the Department of Justice (DOJ) on the same day said that it would appeal a Trump-appointed District Judge Aileen Cannon’s ruling, which authorizes an independent mediator to review the classified materials, including some marked top secret, recovered from the former president’s Florida residence.
The former president further weighed in on the Justice Department and former FBI officials including ex-Director James Comey and ex-Deputy Director Andrew McCabe.
“They leak, lie, plant fake evidence, allow the spying on my campaign, deceive the FISA [Foreign Intelligence Surveillance] Court, RAID, and Break-Into my home, lose documents, and then they ask me, as the 45th President of the United States, to trust them,” Trump said in the following post.
Cannon’s 24-Page Mar-a-Lago OrderThe FBI searched former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate on Aug. 8, recovering more than 11,000 government documents and photographs, with 103 documents marked classified. Trump has asked on Aug. 31 a U.S. federal court to block the FBI from reviewing the materials pending the appointment of a special master.
The judge is in the middle of choosing a mediator to assess the seized documents, while the department and Trump’s lawyers have until Friday to submit a list of possible candidates.
The DOJ lawyers had opposed that request, saying the order is problematic because the assessment “cannot be readily segregated” from the DOJ and FBI efforts in connection with the ongoing criminal probe.