U.S. President Donald Trump’s legal team has accused the BBC of harassment after it asked a court for help obtaining documents and testimony from members of his family as part of its defense in his $10 billion defamation lawsuit against the broadcaster.
The BBC’s lawyers argued that the president’s oldest son, Donald Trump Jr., his daughter Ivanka Trump, and her husband, Jared Kushner, all have “personal knowledge” and records relevant to claims against the British corporation, according to a filing in federal court in Miami on Aug. 14.
The broadcaster has been unable to serve subpoenas because the three have Secret Service protection as well as other security personnel around them, the filing says.
Trump Refused Subpoenas
The latest filing said that the Trump family members had knowledge of issues relevant to the lawsuit’s argument “that it would be materially false to imply that he incited violence” at the Capitol.
The filing claimed that both Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump were present in the Oval Office when the president was revising his speech, adding that Trump Jr. also spoke with his father shortly after the breach.
The filing says Trump refused to accept the subpoenas from the BBC on behalf of his daughter and son-in-law, or to direct the Secret Service to allow the orders to be served.
The broadcaster has now asked the court to allow the subpoenas to be served by email and certified mail.
The judge has given Trump’s legal team until Aug. 21 to respond to the BBC’s request.

‘Abusing the Deposition Process’
A spokesman for Trump’s legal team said in a statement shared with The Epoch Times that “the BBC is simply trying to distract away from their own obvious liability.”
“The BBC intentionally defamed President Donald J. Trump, and now the BBC is seeking to harass him, his family, and supporters by abusing the deposition process,” his legal team said in a statement.
The lawsuit claims the BBC editing was “a brazen attempt to interfere in and influence” the 2024 presidential election, in which Trump defeated Democratic nominee Vice President Kamala Harris.
Temporary Reprieve
The order would have compelled the president to hand over tax returns, financial statements, and ownership records for some 400 corporate entities owned by the Trump family trust.
U.S. District Judge Roy Altman agreed to halt that order while he considers an amended complaint from Trump that would narrow his claim away from harms to his businesses and onto reputational damage.
Trump’s legal team previously accused the BBC of a “fishing expedition” with subpoenas designed to “harass” former officials.
Alejandro Brito, counsel for Trump, has described the BBC’s “sweeping” requests for documents as “oppressive.”
He has opposed the BBC’s requests for records of Trump’s conversations with aides relating to the events of Jan. 6, as well as subpoenas issued to federal agencies and former officials.







