The head of Puerto Rico's National Guard said the supplies and equipment that was housed for years in a warehouse in Ponce since Hurricane Maria will be distributed after the commonwealth's governor fired three officials.
The items that would be distributed are 270 cots, 400 awnings, 700 portable stoves, and dozens of containers, he said. But he stressed there are more items around the warehouse.
"We are distributing everything that is here ... Approximately 12 pallets are [being distributed] to each of these municipalities," said Reyes.
Over the weekend, a viral Facebook video had shown angry locals breaking into a storehouse in an area where numerous people have been in shelters following a devastating earthquake earlier this month.
“They weren’t able to personally tell me specifically where these centers were located, what they contained, and whether an inventory was completed,” she said in a statement. Gil and Andújar were singled out because she lost confidence in them, Vazquez wrote.
Ponce Mayor María Meléndez added that she is outraged over the scandal.
“I spent several days requesting cots and water,” she said in a statement. “They sent me to Cabo Rojo for the cots and to San Juan for the water. If I had known that those supplies were there, I would have demanded that they be taken out immediately. ”
On Twitter, Melendez wrote that Ponce and its officials had no knowledge of the warehouse storage findings. She said they are not managed by the city.
The discovery came after President Donald Trump announced on Jan. 16 he would declare that "a major disaster exists" in the southern portion of Puerto Rico following hundreds of earthquakes that hit since late December, including a 6.4 magnitude tremor.