One Person Killed in Early Morning Crash on Santa Ana Freeway

One Person Killed in Early Morning Crash on Santa Ana Freeway
Jack Bradley

BUENA PARK, Calif. (CNS)—One person was killed Nov. 30 in a multi-vehicle crash on the Santa Ana (5) Freeway in Buena Park.

The three-vehicle collision was reported shortly after 12:50 a.m. and occurred on the southbound Santa Ana Freeway just north of the Riverside (91) Freeway, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP).

Officer Duane Graham of the CHP told The Epoch Times that  a 58-year-old woman from Mission Viejo was driving a 2012 Honda southbound on the freeway when she stopped for an unknown reason in the number three lane.

"Another vehicle that was traveling collided into the rear of that stopped vehicle, and a third vehicle that couldn't avoid a collision collided with the 2012 Honda," Graham revealed.

"The 58-year-old driver in the original stopped vehicle is now deceased as a result of the traffic collision.”

Graham identified the first vehicle that hit the stopped car as a 2006 Honda, and the second vehicle as a 2010 Bentley.

"The Bentley attempted to avoid the cars that were involved in the previous traffic collision," Graham said, but was not successful.

“The Bentley driver did not sustain any injuries. The driver in 2006 Honda sustained minor injuries and was transported to a local hospital,” Graham said.

He added that alcohol or drugs are not suspected as factors in the collision at this time, but the matter is "still being investigated," along with why the car was stopped in the first place.

One of the first arriving officers initially reported that one person was trapped inside a vehicle and another was down on the right shoulder of the roadway. A news videographer at the scene noted that paramedics took a woman from a compact sedan to a hospital for treatment.

A SigAlert was issued at 1:05 a.m., shutting down all southbound lanes with traffic getting off at Beach Boulevard.

The carpool lane was reopened at 2:27 a.m.,  and all lanes were reopened about 4 a.m.

City News Service contributed to this report.