Christine Pelosi Attends Hearing for Paul Pelosi Attack Suspect

Christine Pelosi Attends Hearing for Paul Pelosi Attack Suspect
David DePape, right, records a wedding in San Francisco, Calif., on Dec. 19, 2013. (Eric Risberg/AP Photo)
Lear Zhou
Zachary Stieber
SAN FRANCISCO, California—Paul Pelosi’s alleged attacker will continue to be held without bail after appearing in court on Nov. 4.

David DePape, 42, will remain detained and his preliminary hearing won’t take place until Dec. 14.

A status hearing was scheduled for later in November.

Pelosi’s daughter, Christine Pelosi,  was among the packed courtroom. The hearing took place in San Francisco Superior Court.

Both sides agreed to postpone a bail hearing in light of the federal charges DePape is facing.

DePape is facing attempted murder and other charges that could land him up to life in prison if convicted. He has also been charged with assault and attempted kidnapping by federal authorities, but has not yet appeared in federal court.

DePape is an illegal immigrant from Canada and U.S. authorities have placed a detainer on him. That alerts local authorities that they should hold DePape if he is granted bail and transfer him to U.S. authorities instead of letting him be released.

DePape was arrested on Oct. 28 after breaking into the Pelosi residence around 2 a.m., according to court documents.

Authorities say DePape broke a window in the rear of the home, entered the residence, and made his way into a bedroom where Paul Pelosi was sleeping.

DePape asked where Nancy Pelosi was and was informed she was not there. Nancy Pelosi was in Washington with her protective detail, according to the U.S. Capitol Police.

Paul Pelosi asked to go to the bathroom and called 911 while there, authorities said. David DePape also spoke to the dispatcher.

After the call ended, they both went downstairs, where police arrived minutes later.

Paul Pelosi opened the door and officers did not intervene as DePape gained control of a hammer that both had a hand on and struck Paul Pelosi in the head, according to police officials and charging papers. Officers then tackled DePape and disarmed him.

Both Paul Pelosi and DePape were taken to Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital (ZSFGH).

Paul Pelosi underwent emergency surgery and was released late Nov. 3.

DePape was discharged before his arraignment on Tuesday. He pleaded not guilty to the state charges.

In a statement released Thursday, the Pelosi family expressed its thanks “for the beautiful outpouring of love, support and prayers from around the world.”

“Paul is grateful to the 911 operator, emergency responders, trauma care team, ICU staff, and the entire ZSFGH medical staff for their excellent and compassionate life-saving treatment he received after the violent assault in our home,” the family also said.

Related Topics