A Tulsa resident’s interview after escaping a fire has gone viral.
Michelle Dobyne described in detail the events leading to her escape on Sunday, Jan. 10.
“My friend came to the door she said, well, I was on the phone cooking me and my baby some breakfast, and she say, ‘Hey, something wrong, it’s poppin!.’ I said ‘What!’ She said ‘Yeah,’ I said ‘Nah!'” Dobyne recounted to KOTV.
“So the girl come down stairs. She come out of her apartment with her baby with no shoes on. I said, ‘Ah, girl, it’s cold outside!’ She said, ‘Something ain’t right!’ I said, ‘Aw, man!’ She said, ‘Aw, man, the building is on fire!’ I said, ‘Nah, what?’ I grabbed my three kids, and we bounced out. Uh, uh. We ain’t gonna be in no fire! Not today!”
The broadcaster noted that the humorous telling of the story had “the entire newsroom laughing.”
Reporter Charlie Hannema uploaded a clip of the interview on Facebook, and it has received over 29.7 million views as of Tuesday afternoon.
No residents were injured, but they have to stay in a temporary Red Cross shelter while heat and power are restored to the building.
Property manager David Bryan said there will be armed security guards on the property until the power is restored.