“Per safety protocols, campaign staff are tested for COVID-19 before events. Six members of the advance team tested positive,” Trump Campaign Communication Director Tim Murtaugh said in a statement. “Quarantine procedures were immediately implemented.”
Murtaugh said that hundreds of tests were performed to the campaign staff and those COVID-positive staffers will not be allowed to attend the rally or stay close to rally attendees and elected officials.
“As previously announced, all rally attendees are given temperature checks before going through security, at which point they are given wristbands, facemasks, and hand sanitizer,” he added.
Saturday’s rally is the first one since March—when the CCP virus pandemic put a halt to all in-person campaign events—and has received ticket requests from over one million supporters, the Trump campaign announced earlier this week.
Almost One Million people request tickets for the Saturday Night Rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 15, 2020
Registrants of the event were required to sign a waiver releasing Trump’s campaign from responsibility for potential exposure to the CCP virus.
Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt said on Friday that Trump’s first post-lockdown rally will be safe and he will attend the event.
“We’re going to be very safe and we think it’s the right time,” Stitt, a Republican, said during an appearance on Fox News’ “America’s Newsroom.”
“My question back to all the folks who say you shouldn’t have a rally: When is the right time? Do we really think that in July or August or in November, coronavirus is not going to be here? We’ve got to learn to deal with this—we’ve got to learn to be safe, take precautions—but we’ve got to learn to also live our lives.”
Zachary Stieber contributed to the report.