Trudeau Cites Uncertainty Around Pandemic as Reason for Budget Delay

May 13, 2020 Updated: May 13, 2020

OTTAWA—Prime Minister Justin Trudeau isn’t saying when his government will provide a budget or fiscal update, citing economic uncertainty around COVID-19.

The government’s first budget since the fall election wasn’t delivered in late March as originally planned when the House of Commons went on an extended hiatus as a result of the pandemic.

Trudeau says the government is having difficulty determining what’s going to happen to the economy over the next few weeks, let alone the next year.

He says the government will look for ways to keep taxpayers apprised of spending.

Federal spending to combat the economic fallout from the pandemic is approaching $150 billion, not including tens of billions more in loans and tax deferrals to help companies cover costs, prompting an expected tenfold increase in this year’s deficit.

On Tuesday, the parliamentary budget officer told a House of Commons committee the deficit would likely be more than $250 billion, up from the $28.1 billion estimated in the Liberals’ fiscal update from late last year.

Yves Giroux also warned all that emergency aid, and possible spending to aid in a recovery, would likely shoot the national debt to $1 trillion.

“Unlike previous recessions or economic downturns, this is a situation that has no antecedent,” Trudeau said Wednesday.

“It is a completely outside health issue that has caused us to choose to cease a massive amount of economic activity in this country to keep Canadians safe.”

Trudeau made the comments after saying that seasonal and tourism companies that don’t qualify for other federal programs, or who are still facing cash-flow issues, can get help through one of six regional development agencies.

The $962 million regional relief fund will also in some cases help non-profit groups that offer unique financing that entrepreneurs can’t get from traditional lenders.

Perrin Beatty, president of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, said in a statement the money will provide “desperately needed help” to small- and medium-sized businesses that have fallen through the cracks of federal aid programs.

“As we enter the third month of economic lockdown, many businesses that have not qualified for support urgently need help now. Unfortunately, for some it’s too late,” he said.

The most recent federal figures on a new wage subsidy program show the government has paid $3.36 billion in a few days to 123,642 companies, helping to cover payroll costs for almost 1.7 million employees.

About 95 percent of the applications to the $73-billion program have been for $100,000 or more in help.

The Liberals have promised to extend the program beyond its June 6 end date.

Trudeau also said Wednesday that students will be able to begin applying Friday for a new emergency benefit that is part of a $9 billion package to catch students who haven’t qualified for the $35-billion Canada Emergency Response Benefit.

The CERB has so far paid out $30.5 billion in benefits to over 7.8 million people, based on the most recently published federal figures.

The Opposition Conservatives have been pressing the Liberals about potential fraud in the program. The government has said that anyone wrongly receiving payments will be dealt with at tax time next year.

By Jordan Press