Like many of us in this day and age, I started becoming a jock in my 50s. For the past 30 years I did a better job of watching my kids play sports than I did participating in them. Then I got the bug to live a healthier lifestyle and make the most of the life I have. It has and continues to be a fun journey…despite the aches and pains and occasional injury. I may not be able to keep up with those that are a lot younger and have a much lower BMI than I yet I can honestly say I look forward to working out in the morning, working on my running, going on long bike rides with my husband and exploring new hikes in the Rocky Mountains. Reflecting on this the other day I decide to make a light-hearted list of the Top Ten Indicators of When You Realize You Have Become a Jock—no matter your age. Here is my list:
- You are willing to cycle in the rain and don’t even give a thought to your hair or clinging clothes.
- You walk around with a farmer’s tan on your arms AND legs.
- You have multiple scars and have a story for each one and the sport you were involved with at the time.
- You can make cocktail conversation about your knee operation.
- Your idea of a date with your spouse/significant other is going to work out.
- You keep a pair of tennis shoes, a bottle of water and a protein bar in your car.
- Your idea of a perfect birthday gift is another pair of bike shorts.
- You have to make room on your shoe shelf for another pair of athletic shoes.
- You have more apps on your phone for tracking your food, activity, steps and routes than anything else.
- You have more event t-shirts than button down shirts in your closet.
Enjoy! And Live Vibrant!