Our taste buds love to be tantalized. The more tantalizing the flavors are the more satisfying we find them. That is why I love experimenting with flavors and discover new combinations that I find delicious. This is particularly true of cookies and muffins. Treats and desserts tend to be more about the “sweet” than about being filling and tasty. It is a fun challenge to find ways to make them delicious, nutritious AND satisfying…with just one or two.
I have been experimenting with a new recipe to add to my fresh herb repertoire of cookies. It has been a big hit. A great treat with a latte or a hot cup of green tea. It can also be a cookie to bake and share with friends during the holidays. These cookies are packed full of nutritious ingredients to keep everyone happy and healthy. Here is the new recipe:
Thyme-infused Cardamom-Orange Oatmeal Cookies
¼ cup Truvia sugar, baking blend
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 teaspoon orange zest, finely chopped
1 cup unbleached flour
¾ cup rolled oats
½ teaspoon cardamom
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons orange juice
Canola Oil Cooking Spray
1. Place first 4 ingredients in a mixing bowl. Blend them and cover the bowl. Let the thyme and orange zest infuse the sugars while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. 30 minutes is ideal.
2. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Make sure all ingredients are well mixed.
3. Blend the butter with the sugar mixture. Add the egg. Also blend it well. Then add the orange juice.
4. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture in 3 equal amounts. Blend well.
5. Spray Canola Oil cooking spray evenly on cookie sheets. Drop 1 tablespoon sized cookies evenly on the cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 24 cookies. Serving size: 2 cookies. Calories: 136 (68 per cookie)
Enjoy! And Live Vibrant!