Thunderstorm Sweeps Toronto’s T&T’s Waterfront Night Market

By Renee Zhang, Epoch Times
July 20, 2013 3:38 am Last Updated: July 20, 2013 3:47 am

TORONTO, Canada—An Epoch Times reporter witnesses heavy thunderstorm sweeping through Toronto’s 2013 T&T Supermarket Waterfront Night Market opening evening. Toronto experienced severe flooding on July 9 due to heavy rain storms

This reporter saw the following events unfolding. 

6:15 p.m. Drastic changes in the sky, dark clouds gathered over the night market and tree leaves were blown off nearby trees due to extreme winds.

6:20 p.m. Thunder and lighting arrived, heavy rain and winds descended. People began running back into their cars for cover.

6:25 p.m. The storm continued, five young event staff hung onto the tent nearby my parked car to prevent it from flying away. More people were running back from the night market to their cars.

A woman rushed back to the car beside me with her umbrella folding out due to heavy winds. She was completely soaked and got into her car and drove away.

6:45 p.m. The rain finally subsided. I got out of my car and headed into the night market. Two things hit me immediately, the stench of Smelly Tofu and the sight of tents strewn across the night market grounds.

A crowd of night market goers was still there. T&T Night market volunteers scrambled to contain the mess and regroup for the remaining crowds.

Large tents were blown apart, but most of the smaller tents were still standing. The remaining vendors seized the opportunity to sell their food.

The line for Smelly Tofu grew quickly.

7:00 p.m. I walked to see what was happening at the T&T Supermarket; a group of employees were blocking the entrance to ensure no one got in. The power was off.

An exhibitor rep from Pepsi was on the phone beside me trying to figure out what to do with their destroyed booth.

7:10 p.m. Event organizer Ben Hum, President of North American Association of Asian Professionals (NAAAP) Toronto Chapter spoke with me momentarily. He was calm and keeping a positive attitude.

A security personnel came over and told him that someone wants to shut down the market immediately for safety concerns, mentioning there was at least one minor injury due to the storm. He also warned another storm was expected to arrive in 20 minutes and already landed in Mississauga.

7:15 p.m. Skies cleared and the crowds began to grow. The organizers and volunteers in green shirts continued to clean up the areas that were blown over by the storm. 

Food merchandisers discounted their food to entice the leftover night market goers to consume their food quickly before the next storm arrived. The Smelly Tofu line seemed to have grown and bubble tea was being sold for only $1.

7:20 p.m. I wandered off to side areas that were more affected by the storm; some vendors were still functioning.

7:30 p.m. I continued to walk through the crowds, many people didn’t seem to care tents were blown around; they were still interested in trying all the different foods.

I checked the Smelly Tofu line again, but it was still very long. I decided to try the lamb kabobs instead (delicious). 

7:45 p.m. Winds picked up again and the sky started to darken, it was time to get out of there. Raindrops began to fall, and I made it back to my car just in time. I enjoyed the rest of my lamb kabobs under shelter.

10:45 p.m. It was still thundering and lightning. T&T officially announced on Facebook the night market is closed for the due to the storm.