Drones have gone from geeky dream to mainstream gadget in a shockingly brief amount of time. The remote-controlled airborne devices were once expensive tools reserved for businesses with a real need for them.
Construction companies, for example, used them to survey and film sites, while video companies used them to capture aerial footage at a fraction of the cost of renting a helicopter.
Today, you can walk into any toy store, spend less than $50 and leave with a recreational drone in your shopping bag.
Drones have flooded the market to the point that it’s getting difficult to distinguish between them, but one company is getting ready to launch a drone that you won’t soon forget: Meet the world’s smallest quadcopter.
DON’T MISS: OnePlus 2 review: There can be only one
Crowdfunded products often fail to actually make it to release, but the Aerius drone by Axis Drones was successfully funded some time ago. It is now less than a month away from launch, and production has apparently gone so well that the device can still be preordered for delivery ahead of the holidays.
How small is the world’s smallest quadcopter drone? As you can see in the photo below, it’s not even as tall as a quarter standing on its edge.
Here are some of the Aerius drone’s key features, as listed on the Axis Drones website:
- The NEW World’s Smallest Quadcopter ® – 3cm x 3cm x 2cm
- Ultra-Compact 2.4 gHz Controller with Drone Storage/Transport Compartment
- 5-7 Minute Flight Time per 15 Minute Charge via USB Cable; 3.7v 80mAh Battery
- 2-Speeds Pre-programmed for Desired Level of Flight Sensitivity
- Headless Mode Allows for Beginners to Ensure Flight Orientation
- 6-Axis Gyro-Stabilization Keeps Drone Stable and Centered
- 360 Degree Rotational Yaw Allows Users to Seamlessly Adjust Orientation
- Pre-programmed “Trick-Mode” Algorithm Provides Amazing Flips and Rolls!
- Bright LED Colored Lights for Night Flight and Drone Orientation
- Available in 4 Color Choices and Controller Accents
- Super Portable, Fun, Unique and a Great way to Practice Flying Drones Indoors!
The Aerius is so small and portable that it can actually be docked inside the remote controller when it’s not being flown.
Here’s a video of the drone in action, and you can also see it doing some flip tricks:
The Aerius drone is set to start shipping on September 30th, and it costs $35 to preorder on Axis Drones’ website.