Whether you’re a seasoned Android user or you’ve just purchased your first smartphone, it’s very likely you have quite a few apps installed on your device including popular messaging apps, games, entertainment, and shopping apps. But no matter how popular some of these apps might be, many of them are huge drains on your battery, storage, and/or data. AVG has put together a few handy lists of the biggest culprits when it comes to draining your resources.
AVG looked at anonymous data from more than one million AVG Android app users to put together its top 10 lists—and there are quite a few of them, as seen in the infographic below.
Dating apps appear to be heating up ahead of the holidays, AVG says, but social networking and chat apps are still major battery drainers. Amazon Shopping and Walmart can also consume plenty of battery life. Netflix and Spotify are also found in AVG’s lists, though entertainment apps are expected to kill battery life, especially when heavy streaming is involved.
Here are AVG’s top Android apps that you should avoid if you want to improve battery life, storage, and data consumption issues—however, that’s easier said than done, since some of them are quite popular.
- Performance Draining Apps (startup): Facebook, Google Play Services, BBM, Instagram, Messenger, ChatOn Voice & Video Chat, Facebook Pages Manager, The Weather Channel, KakaoTalk, WhatsApp Messenger
- Performance Draining Apps (user): Snapchat, Amazon Shopping UK, Spotify Music, LINE: Free Calls & Messages, CleanMaster, Samsung WatchON, Netflix, BBC News, Amazon Shopping Global, Microsoft Outlook
- Top 10 Battery Drainers (startup): Android Firmware Updater, Beaming Service for Samsung, SecurityPolicyUpdater, ChatON Voice & Video Chat, Google Play Services, Facebook, BBM, WhatsApp Messenger, Weather & Clock Widget Android, WeChat
- Top 10 Battery Drainers (user): Samsung WatchON, Snapchat, Amazon Shopping UK, Microsoft Outlook, BBC News, Netflix, LINE: Free Calls & Messages, CleanMaster, Walmart, Amazon Shopping Global
- Top 10 Storage Hogs (startup): Facebook, Amazon Kindle, Sp-Mode Mail, Facebook Pages Manager, Google Play Services, Skype, Instagram, Tango: free Video Call & Text, Google Play Services, WeChat
- Top 10 Storage Hogs (user): Spotify Music, Chrome, Ailis Filters & Stickers, LINE Free Calls & Messages, Amazon Shopping UK, TripAdvisor Hotels Flights, Amazon Shopping Global, Snapchat, Clean Master, Photo Editor by Aviary
- Top 10 Traffic Hogs (startup): Facebook, Yahoo! Japan, Avast Antivirus & Security, The Weather Channel, Instagram, iHeartRadio, Google Play Services, APUs Launcher, Groupon, WeatherBug
- Top 10 Traffic Hogs (user): Netflix, Snapchat, Tumblr, BBC News, CleanMaster, Samsung WatchON, Spotify Music, Photo Editor by Aviary, Microsoft Outlook, Tinder
AVG’s infographic follows, with more information available here.