The rise of low-cost subscription services for movies, TV and music – such as Netflix, Google Play and Spotify – hasn’t yet crushed online piracy in quite the way that content producers and rights owners would have liked.
As we reported earlier this week, downloading TV episodes without paying for them certainly hasn’t gone out of fashion, and the year’s most pirated show was Game of Thrones, for the third year in a row.
Variety has now compiled a list of the 20 most pirated movies of the year, and top of the list is The Wolf of Wall Street with 30.035 million downloads. The four most pirated movies are separated by just a few hundred thousand downloads, with just 40,000 between Frozen (29.919m) in second place, and RoboCop (29.879m) in third.
Top 10 list is below:
- The Wolf of Wall Street | 30.035 million downloads
- Frozen | 29.919m
- Robocop | 29.879m
- Gravity | 29.357m
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug | 27.627m
- Thor: The Dark World | 25.749m
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 25.628m
- The Legend of Hercules | 25.137m
- X-Men: Days of Future Past | 24.380m
- 12 Years a Slave | 23.653m