The Fappening Pics: Photos From Hack Keep Spreading Despite Closure of Subreddits

By Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber
Reporter
Zachary Stieber covers U.S. and world news. He is based in Maryland.
September 8, 2014 Updated: September 8, 2014

The pictures and videos from the massive hack are still spreading online despite Reddit closing at least half-a-dozen subreddits dedicated to purveying the images.

Pictures and videos of Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton, Melissa Benoist, and Jessica Brown Findley–among other victims of the hack–are still spreading on Reddit itself along with a similar website, 4chan, and other websites that are storing the material.

Reddit announced over the weekend that it was closing The Fappening subreddit, which had become extremely popular since being started to share the pictures, as well as related subreddits.

But a number of new subreddits, or forums within Reddit, are popping up to try to fill the void that was left, and numerous other websites have a complete list of all the pictures and videos with links, or even all of the pictures and videos themselves.

Lawyers for Lawrence, Upton, and other celebrities that are victims of the hack have sent copyright notices to a number of websites, but the material has spread so far and wide by now that it appears that it will be accessible for good.

Meanwhile, rumors that a new set of leaks would hit the Internet over the weekend turned out to be untrue.

A Twitter account and related 4chan account going by Fappening Report claimed it had a bunch of new pictures, including of Avril Lavigne, and that it would eventually publish them all at once like the first leak. But the pictures it published of Lavigne, Kaley Cuoco, and others were very tame compared to the original images, and many users believed that the account was being used as a so-called FBI honeypot.

The account was later suspended.

See an Associated Press update below. 

Apple to tighten online security after recent hack

Epoch Times Photo

(AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez, File)

NEW YORK—Apple plans to tighten its online security measures to reduce the chances of its users being victimized by intrusions like the ones that stole nude photos from actress Jennifer Lawrence and other celebrities.

CEO Tim Cook told The Wall Street Journal in a story published Friday that Apple Inc. will use email and push notifications to alert the hundreds of millions of people using its services when there has been an attempt to restore their iCloud data on a new device, change an account password or log on to an account with a new device. Previously there were no notifications for restoring iCloud data, but users did receive an email when someone tried to change a password or log in for the first time from a new device.

Apple expects to start sending the additional notifications in two weeks. The iPhone maker said the new security will allow users to change passwords to reclaim control of an account or notifyApple’s security team about a potential problem.

An Apple spokesman confirmed the report Friday but declined to comment further than what was said in the interview.

Apple is also urging users to ensure they have complex passwords that are difficult to guess and are enabling a feature known as two-factor authentication that requires a numeric code sent to a phone to gain access to an account.

The security clampdown comes just a few days after Apple acknowledged computer hackers broke into the accounts of Lawrence and several other stars whose revealing photos were posted online during the Labor Day weekend. The Cupertino, California, company blamed the security breakdown on the intruders’ ability to figure out passwords and bypass other safeguards.

The embarrassing episode raised doubts about Apple’s online security at a time when the company is preparing to introduce several services that will seek to vacuum up even more information about people’s lives and finances. When Apple unveils its next iPhone at a Tuesday event in Silicon Valley, Cook also is widely expected to provide more details about previously announced services designed to help people manage their health and home appliances. Analysts also believe Apple will include a digital wallet for making payments on the iPhone and, possibly, a long-awaited smartwatch, too.

As part of its efforts to reassure users, Apple has emphasized that it found no evidence of a widespread problem in iCloud or its Find my iPhone service. Instead, the affected celebrity accounts were targeted by hackers who had enough information to know the usernames, passwords and answers to personal security questions designed to thwart unauthorized entries, according to Apple.

Knowing this crucial information would enable an outsider to break into Apple accounts, including iCloud, and many other types of online accounts. The digital burglaries, though, probably would have been thwarted with two-factor authentication.

Apple’s stock added 65 cents to $98.74 in Friday’s early afternoon trading.

Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber covers U.S. and world news. He is based in Maryland.