Texas Woman Laura Avila Dies After Botched Plastic Surgery Procedure in Mexico: Reports

November 25, 2018 Updated: November 25, 2018

A Texas real estate agent who went to Mexico for a plastic surgery operation has died after the procedure was botched, according to reports.

Laura Avila, 35, died on Nov. 24, days after she was placed in hospice care and was in a coma, TMZ reported.

Her fiance, Enrique Cruz, also confirmed her death: “So, instead of having our wedding in Tulum like we planned, we will be having a ceremony to celebrate her life, to celebrate all the light and love she has given to the world,” the Daily Mail reported.

She had went to a clinic in Juarez, Mexico, located just across the U.S.-Mexico border from El Paso, Texas, Fox News reported. Avila went there to get a breast augmentation and a nose job.

During the procedure, she suffered complications from the anesthesia, which caused brain swelling Then, she suffered a heart attack and was placed in a medically induced coma to prevent further swelling of her brain, Fox reported.

According to the TMZ report, she was trying to save money by getting the procedure done in Mexico, rather than in the United States.

Her attorney, Larry Friedman, told the website:. “She had the best of life in front of her until this tragic, unfortunate and senseless death. So that her death is not in vain, people should think of Laura before they look for cross border discount surgery.”

Friedman added: “They should do their homework and investigate the experience, training and track record of anyone BEFORE they sign up,” adding, “Always LOOK before you leap.”

Cruz, her fiance, said that when he went to the Rino Center at 3:30 p.m. to pick her up after the procedure at 12 p.m., doctors said they were waiting for the anesthesia to wear off. He said that hours passed before they contacted a nearby hospital for help.

The family explained in a GoFundMe page Avila suffered “cardiac arrest for four minutes,” and she was later “placed into a medically induced coma to prevent further damage to her brain that was caused by the complications she experienced during anesthesia.”

Before her reported death, “Physicians recently began to slowly remove medications to take her out of the coma. However due to brain lesions, it is too soon to know the state she will be in from the damage she has sustained until she awakens. Laura is still in critical condition. She is currently experiencing seizures as an indication of brain injury,” according to the GoFundMe.

“We have hired attorneys in Juarez, Mexico, who are assisting us in our quest for her medical records so she can be better assisted. We fear her records will be altered, so aside from worrying about her well -being, we are simultaneously trying to move quickly on the legal end,” wrote her family on GoFundMe.

Days later, in an update, the family wrote that she was moved to another facility.

“Her fate is in the hands of God. Visitation is limited to immediate family and very close friends. We appreciate your understanding and respect towards our wishes. Thank you for keeping Laura in your prayers and for all of your continued love & support,” they wrote.