The Humane Society of Southeast Texas (HSSET) caught fire late March 15. Of the resident dog population, only 11 survived.
A dryer in the shelter’s laundry facility was the cause of the fire,
Shelter staff and volunteers did their best to move live animals to a nearby building for treatment, according to the Fire Rescue press release.
The on scene team of the local Beaumont news, 12NewsNow, reported seeing responding medical personnel give oxygen to a rescued dog. President of the HSSET board, Amy Bean, told 12NewsNow that the puppy room was hit the worst.
The HSSET was housing around 200 dogs and other animals before the fire broke out, according to 12NewsNow. In 2015, the shelter housed 1,256 animals.
HSSET posted to its Facebook page that it has “no words to describe the pain [it is] feeling right now.”
The Humane Society of Southeast Texas, founded in 1962, is in need of monetary donations, noting that they are “grateful for everyone who had brought us food. But right now we do not have any more animals to feed.”