Teen Student Died After Bags of Ecstasy ‘Exploded’ in Stomach

September 6, 2017 Updated: September 6, 2017

A teenage student from the United Kingdom reportedly died after five bags of ecstasy, or MDMA, “exploded” in her stomach, reported the BBC.

Rebecca “Becky” Brock died inside a hotel on the resort island of Ibiza, Spain.

Brock, 18, from Nottinghamshire was found unresponsive in her room by hotel staff in September 2015, but her cause of death was not detailed until this week.

Her mother, Margarita, told a court that her daughter might have been forced to swallow the bags of drugs.

“Spanish authorities say five bags were found which were wrapped with elastic bands,” she said, according to the BBC.

Ibiza, Spain (Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported)
Ibiza, Spain (Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported)

She admitted that her daughter had experimented with cocaine. “She tried cocaine with people she knew and people around her she knew,” the mother stated.

“She said to her sister afterwards that she didn’t like it so she didn’t have to worry. She was very clear about what she let into her body and what she didn’t,” Margarita added.

“Becky would tell me difficult things—she was quite open about the drugs, it was the weight issues she was less keen to talk about,” she said. “She wouldn’t take any pills easily—I can’t imagine that getting in her body at all. If she didn’t have to take a pill, she wouldn’t do because she couldn’t swallow it,” she said, as reported by British news agency SWNS.

Nottinghamshire Coroner Mairin Casey confirmed that the girl’s death was due to drugs.

Ecstasy tablets which may contain MDMA (DEA)
Ecstasy tablets which may contain MDMA (DEA)

“Becky died of MDMA intoxication commonly known as ecstasy. I find that no other substance was found in her body that could have contributed to her death. I find that she had not taken alcohol other than in a moderate amount,” Casey stated.

“There was no evidence of a form of assault. No witnesses to the investigation had seen her take drugs in Ibiza. I find it impossible to say how a pack or packs were ingested. How these bags were in her stomach we will never know.”

“It is likely that Becky became unwell and confused and most probably died a short time thereafter. It is not possible to say whether she would have been conscious or not. The conclusion I arrive at is this is a drug-related death.”

Casey said that Becky Brock flew to Ibiza from the Netherlands on Sept. 22, 2015. However, she didn’t contact anyone after that.