Syria Kills 200 in Village Shelling

By Stephen Jones, Epoch Times
July 14, 2012 Updated: October 1, 2015
Thousands of Syrians from Mareh, a city in the northern countryside of Syria, protest against the massacre in Treimsa, in Hama province, on July 13, 2012. (Vedat Xhymshiti/AFP/GettyImages)

Syria’s opposition groups have called for the UN Security Council to pursue further sanctions against Damascus following what may have been the worst massacre since the uprising began.

The Syrian National Council (SNC) has called for governments to pass a binding resolution under Chapter VII of the UN Charter, which permits economic sanctions and military intervention against governments considered to be a threat to peace.

“We expect members of the Security Council to assume total responsibility to protect defenseless Syrians against these shameful crimes,” the SNC was quoted as saying by AFP.

The appeal comes after Syrian military allegedly killed over 200 people on Thursday.

“More than 220 people fell today in Tremseh,” the Revolution Leadership Council of Hama told Reuters. “They died from bombardment by tanks and helicopters, artillery shelling and summary executions.”

Since anti-government violence broke out in March last year, over 17,000 people have been killed. It is believed that most of them were civilians.

A peace deal was brokered in March by Kofi Annan, the UN-Arab League Syrian envoy. It was largely ignored by the Syrian government. In a statement Thursday, Syria’s Muslim Brotherhood, itself a part of the SNC, said that Annan should take a portion of the blame for treading too lightly.

“We don’t consider the monster Bashar as being solely responsible for this heinous crime … but (also) Kofi Annan, the Russians and the Iranians and all countries which pretend to be guardians of peace and stability in the world but who remain silent,” the Brotherhood said, according to AFP.

The Epoch Times publishes in 35 countries and in 19 languages. Subscribe to our e-newsletter.

RECOMMENDED