Suspect Arrested in SoFi Stadium Assault That Left 49ers Fan in Coma

By City News Service
City News Service
City News Service
February 4, 2022 Updated: February 4, 2022

INGLEWOOD, Calif.—A suspect wanted in connection with a fight outside SoFi Stadium that left a San Francisco 49ers fan in a medically induced coma was free on bail Jan. 4 but facing a possible assault charge.

Bryan Alexis Cifuentes-Rossell, 33, of Los Angeles, was booked on suspicion of “assault by means to produce great bodily injury,” and was released on $30,000 bail about 1 a.m. Friday, Inglewood Mayor James Butts said at a news conference at Inglewood City Hall.

According to Butts, investigators were able to track down Cifuentes—who works in Montebello—through surveillance video from the SoFi Stadium parking lot that captured footage of a suspect vehicle license plate. Cifuentes eventually contacted Inglewood police on Thursday, and he was asked to come to the Inglewood police station to be interviewed.

“He declined, but said he would talk to the officers in Montebello,” Butts said. “Officers went to his location, and he voluntarily accompanied them to the Inglewood Police Department, where he received his Miranda admonition and was interviewed. After the interview, he was placed under arrest.”

Detectives plan to present the case to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office for filing consideration, Butts said. He declined to elaborate on the statement that Cifuentes gave to police.

“The victim is in stable condition,” Butts said. “As of this briefing, his condition has not improved or degraded. … He’s in a medically induced coma.”

Luna, who was wearing a 49ers jersey, was found injured in Parking Lot L of SoFi Stadium in Inglewood around 4 p.m. Sunday—about 30 minutes after the start of the Rams’ 20–17 victory over San Francisco that advanced them to Super Bowl LVI.

Luna was taken to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, where he was placed in a medically induced coma with extensive injuries to his face and upper body.

Due to the nature of Luna’s injuries, hospital officials notified Inglewood police about three hours after the altercation took place.

The altercation was eerily reminiscent of the 2011 beating of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow in a Dodger Stadium parking lot. Stow was left with permanent brain damage.

However, a cousin of the suspect arrested in connection with the SoFi Stadium altercation told KTLA5 Friday morning that the attack was not related to a fan rivalry, claiming instead that Luna sparked the fight because he was intoxicated. She told the station the suspect was with a group of fans of both the Rams and 49ers.

On Thursday night, Butts deflected suggestions that the city and police delayed reports of Luna’s assault, claiming instead that authorities only learned of a crime occurred after reviewing the security footage.

“To be blunt about it, it looked like a small altercation that went very bad from one punch and someone hitting their head on the ground,” said Butts, a former Santa Monica Police Department chief and a deputy chief with the Inglewood Police Department.

SoFi Stadium officials issued a statement saying, “We are aware and saddened by the incident. Our thoughts are with Mr. Luna’s friends and family during this difficult time. We are working with law enforcement officials in their investigation.”

SoFi Stadium is set to host the Super Bowl on Feb. 13.

Former Los Angeles Police Department Assistant Chief Horace Frank said authorities should have been more transparent about the circumstances around Luna’s beating.

“You should have put out that information to the public because the perpetrator is a public safety hazard and a threat to the community,” Frank, who oversaw major game operations, told the Los Angeles Times. “You want to get the persons responsible for this heinous attack into custody as soon as possible.”

Meeks pushed back on the assumption that Inglewood officials attempted to conceal details of Luna’s attack from the public. “We don’t have anything to hide,” he told the Times.

The 49ers issued a statement Thursday, saying, “What happened to Daniel Luna is reprehensible and we strongly condemn all violence. We know local authorities are conducting a full investigation and we’re here to support them however we can. Our thoughts and prayers go to Mr. Luna, his family, friends, and the medical team providing him care.”

Luna, 40, flew to Los Angeles and attended the game alone after other fans who were to accompany him canceled, the Times reported. He owns the Oakland Peruvian fusion restaurant Mistura.