Suicide Bomb in Southern Afghanistan Kills at Least 20

September 19, 2019 Updated: September 19, 2019

KABUL, Afghanistan—A powerful early-morning suicide truck bomb devastated a hospital in southern Afghanistan on Sept. 19, killing as many as 20 people and wounding more than 90 others, Afghan officials said.

The Taliban, who claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing, has carried out nearly daily attacks since peace talks with the United States collapsed earlier this month.

Thursday’s massive explosion destroyed part of the hospital in Qalat, the capital of southern Zabul province, and left a fleet of ambulances broken and battered.

Local residents, many of whom had come to see their sick family members, used shawls and blankets to carry the wounded inside the destroyed building, while authorities scrambled to take the worst of the wounded to hospitals in nearby Kandahar.

In the hours immediately after the suicide truck bombing, there were contradictory figures of the dead and wounded. The provincial governor’s spokesman Gul Islam Seyal put the death toll at 12 but said authorities were on the scene sifting through the debris. Atta Jan Haqbayan, head of the provincial council, put the death toll at 20.

Afghanistan
Damaged cars are seen at the site of a suicide attack in Zabul, Afghanistan on Sept. 19, 2019. (Ahmad Wali Sarhadi/AP Photo)
Afghanistan
An Afghan security member and people carry an injured man after a suicide attack in Zabul, Afghanistan on Sept. 19, 2019. (Ahmad Wali Sarhadi/AP Photo)

Morning prayers had just finished when worshipers were stunned by the ear-splitting blast that destroyed parts of a mosque adjacent to the hospital and the hospital building, said Mahboob Hakimi, a resident of Qalat.

Windows in his home over a mile away were shattered by the blast, he said.

A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahed, said in a Twitter post the target was a nearby intelligence office, which he claimed was destroyed and “tens of intelligence operatives killed/wounded.”

Haqbayan said the wall of the National Security Department (NDS) building was damaged. He couldn’t say whether any personnel were among the casualties.

The provincial governor, Rahmatullah Yarmal, said many of the dead and wounded were women and children. On Twitter, an Afghan National Security Forces personnel posted a picture of a 6-month-old child saying they were searching through the rubble for the parents and sought the public’s help.

President Ashraf Ghani’s spokesman, Sediq Sediqqi, condemned the attack in Zabul, writing on Twitter that the Taliban “continue to target civilians while their leaders travel to Iran and Russia,” a reference to the Taliban negotiators recent forays seeking support abroad.

The violence has further rattled the country as it prepares for national elections later this month. Two separate bombings on Tuesday, including one that targeted Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s election rally, killed 48 people, mostly civilians. The Taliban took responsibility for both attacks.

Afghanistan
Afghan security forces arrive near the site of a suicide bombing and gun battle as militants attempted to storm a government office, in Jalalabad, the provincial capital of eastern Afghanistan, on Sept. 18, 2019. (AP Photo)

Suhail Shaheen, the Taliban’s spokesman for their political office in the Middle Eastern state of Qatar, said on Twitter that a cease fire had been part of a U.S.-Taliban deal before President Trump declared it “dead.” He did not elaborate and earlier defended Taliban attacks prior to an agreement signing, saying both sides in the conflict had carried out attacks.

Meanwhile, former Afghan President Hamid Karzai made an appeal to the Taliban to end their attacks and to negotiate with Afghans, saying that the country can construct its own peace deal without the United States and ask for American troops to leave.

Karzai was speaking to local reporters invited to his home in the Afghan capital. He was critical of U.S. airstrikes and of Ghani’s decision early in his tenure to sign a forces protection agreement with the United States, saying it gave Americans immunity from Afghan civilian deaths.

Karzai was a vocal critic of the so-called Bilateral Security Agreement during his time in office, refusing to sign it.

The former president, whose press meeting was televised, opposed upcoming polls saying, “elections can only happen in an independent, peaceful country, not now.”

By Tameem Akhgar

RECOMMENDED