While fans await news about the upcoming “Star Wars: Battlefront” at E3, Disney Interactive has said that it has halted development and testing for “Star Wars: Attack Squadrons.”
“We want to thank all of the fans who participated in the closed beta of Star Wars: Attack Squadrons,” Disney Interactive wrote on its Facebook page as well as its official website. “After much consideration, we have decided to cease development so that we can focus on other Star Wars game experiences. We truly appreciate the time you spent engaging in the beta.”
According to CNET, the game was created with Area 52 Games and Disney Interactive Worlds. The game was first announced via a teaser trailer on Dec. 17, 2013.
The game would have had ships that users could modify along with 16-player matches in three modes. The game was also slated to use the Unity Game Engine.
On the Facebook page, users said they were disappointed with the announcement.
“Hey Disney, in case you haven’t noticed, there are a lot of us waiting years, if not decades, to play new X-Wing, TIE-Fighter, and Knights of the Old Republic games. That means money, lots of it, for you guys if you just satisfy the demand. Most publishers would kill for that kind of guaranteed revenue. Give a few developers the money they need to make these games well, and you’ll make truckloads of money and build goodwill for your upcoming movies as well. Win- win,” one person said.
Added another: “This news is bitterly disappointing, I cannot tell you how excited I was for another xwing/tie fighter style game, even an enhanced ios trench run game would have been great, I truly hope with all my being that this style of starwars space flightsim can be resurrected in the very very very near future.”
Regarding “Battlefront,” EA last month announced that it will be shown at the E3 convention, which will take place June 10 to June 12.