South China and Sun Pegasus Cut Kitchee’s Lead in HKFA Championship

Association football—Hong Kong
By Allan Jackson
Allan Jackson
Allan Jackson
December 18, 2013 Updated: December 18, 2013

While the weekend’s HKFA Championship matches took place in cold and wet conditions, which impacted the quality of the matches played, South China and Sun Pegasus took advantage of Kitchee’s bye to reduce the lead in the First Division.

In Saturday’s games, Royal Southern had a close fought encounter with Yokohama (HK) which ended in a 2-all draw; and Sun Pegasus ran out decisive winners 4-1 over I-Sky Yuen Long.

Yokohama took the lead against Royal Southern in the 29th minute when Liang Zicheng fired a rebound home after Kenji Fukada’s header from Fong Pak-lun’s cross hit the post.

Royal Southern quickly equalised in the 32nd minute when Jonathan Carril knocked in the rebound after Ruben Lopez’s header from Li Ngai-hoi’s cross hit the bar.

Royal Southern took the lead in the 81st minute when Chow Ka Wa forced in Diego Folgar’s header.

Yokohama equalised in the 87th minute when Tsuyoshi Yoshitake fired home.

In the day’s other game Sun Pegasus played their game in hand on Kitchee and took full advantage with a decisive 4-1 win over I-Sky Yuen Long.

Sun Pegasus took the lead after 27 minutes when Aleksandar Randelovic scored from a free kick.

Sun Pegasus doubled their lead after 51 minutes when Admir Rascic scored the penalty—that resulted from him being brought down in the penalty box.

Sun Pegasus improved their lead to 3 goals after 63 minutes when Landon Wing’s pass was collected by Rascic before going on to score his second and Sun Pegasus’ third.

I-Sky Yuen Long reduced the deficit in the 77th minute when Wellingsson De Souza forced home Fabio Alcantara’s cross.

Jaimes Mckee restored Sun Pegasus’ 3-goal lead when he scored the fourth goal late on to seal the important 4-1 result.

In a Sunday game BC Rangers won 1-0 over Citizen; the game settled in the 73rd minute when Tales Schutz’s pass was finished by Chuck Yiu-kwok.

In the day’s other game South China prevailed in their important game against Tuen Mun—the game being won by a goal in the 58th minute, when Diego Martins’ deflected cross was parried by Tuen Mun goalkeeper Wei Zhao, only for South China’s Li Chi-ho to finish and score the only goal of the game.

The results see Kitchee lead the standings on 22 points, with South China second on 20 points having played a game more. Sun Pegasus is third on 19 points having played the same number of games as Kitchee.

There were no league games played in the other lower divisions.

Yau Yee League

The Yau Yee League used the reduction in available pitches to play the first round matches of the 2nd half of the season and also utilise the all weather facility at the HKFC. Not particularly suited to soccer—due to size, markings and the surface not ideal, particularly, in wet conditions—HKFC’s ground may have contributed to the outcome of some of the games.

In Division One, USRC maintained their 5-point lead in the standings over Wanderers after their 3-0 win over Baker Tilly Spartans. However, the second-placed Wanderers won 3-1 against Antonhill to keep the pressure on.

Other trailing teams lost ground on the leaders after GAS and The Store House Squadron drew 2-all; Swiss XI drew 3-all with KCC Dragons; Colts drew 2-all with French Kiss; and Albion lost 1-0 to Interglobo Colloids.

In Division Two, although Mobsters were held to a 1-all draw by Oxford they hold a 1-point advantage over The Store House Hearts, with Corinthians a further point behind after the latter’s comprehensive 6-2 win over former.

In Division Three, WYFC06 on 30 points opened up a 2-point lead over HKU70’s after the former’s 4-2 win over Darts and the latter’s 1-all draw with Dynamo.

In Division Four, Power 22 took advantage of IES’s bye to cut the lead between 1st and 2nd to 6 points after their 2-0 win over Hung Art. IES lead on 31 points.