Six Police Officers Shot, 1 Dead, in 3 US Cities

August 19, 2017 Updated: August 20, 2017

Six police officers were shot in three different U.S. cities overnight on Friday, with one officer confirmed dead.

Two officers were shot in the line of duty in Kissimmee, Fla., at 9:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 18. Officer Matthew Baxter died, while Sgt. Sam Howard was listed in grave cricical condition, according to Kissimmee police.

At least one of the suspects was identified via a video at the scene. The suspect will be transported to the Osceola County Jail wearing the slain officer’s handcuffs, Kissimmee Police Chief Jeff O’Dell said at a 9 a.m. press conference on Saturday.

The two officers were responding to reports of a suspicious person at 9:27 p.m. near Palmway and East Cypress streets in Kissimmee. Five minutes later, dispatch received calls that Baxter and Howard were shot, WFTV reported.

“The prognosis does not look good,” for Howard, the chief said.

Baxter was on the force for three years. Howard is a 10-year veteran. Baxter was married to another police officer and had three kids. The wife is devastated, O’Dell said.

“This is a tough time in law enforcement. I would ask that you pray for the men and women of law enforcement,” O’Dell said.

“We will mourn over the next few days. We will get through this and we love them for what they do,” he added.

President Donald Trump sent a message with condolences at 1 a.m.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott also sent a message on Twitter, saying, “Our prayers are with all of @kissimmeepolice & their loved ones.”

Meanwhile, in northeastern Florida, two officers wtih the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office were shot. One officer is in critical condition, while one is in stable condition. The suspect was shot and killed by the officers, authorities said.

Two Pennsylvania State Police troopers were shot in Fairchance, Pennsylvania. Both troopers were listed in stable condition. The suspect is dead.

A spokesman for Uniontown Hospital told ABC News that the injuries suffered by one of the officers were not life threatening.