Miranda Fugate, the “shovel girl” who hit in the head in a video that went viral this week, said she might lose her hearing due to the incident.
“My head bounced off the pavement and after that, I was crying for them to take me to the hospital. I was completely blacked out,” she told Hollywood Life. “I don’t really remember much. The last thing I remember is my head hitting the cement and then being off in the cornfield. It hurt a lot.”
According to the website, she was diagnosed with a concussion. Fugate also said she blacked out when she was hit.
It took her about eight hours before going to the hospital. “After I got hit in the head I just kind of laughed at myself about it and thought it was funny,” she said. “Then I realized I might have a concussion and probably shouldn’t go to sleep for awhile.”
On May 4, a Vine user called Josh Officer uploaded a video before it was shared hundreds of thousands of times. Later, a fake news website made up a story about it, saying she died as a result, and it generated thousands of shares and “likes” on Facebook. As of Monday, a number of people were still tweeting that she had died.
“My Facebook name is Miranda Lynn!! Yes I got hit with a shovel. No my name’s not shovel girl,” she later wrote on Twitter.
Last week, a local Ohio police spokesperson told TMZ that they’re investigating the girl who hit Fugate in the head with a shovel.
“Now a rep for the Miami County Sheriff’s office in Ohio tells TMZ … they’ve assigned a deputy to investigate after they were contacted by the girls’ high school. Maj. Steve Lord tells TMZ … the girl who threw the shovel could be charged with assault or disorderly conduct,” the website says.