Several Chicago Officers Injured in Violent Protest of Police Shooting

July 15, 2018 Updated: July 15, 2018

Several Chicago police officers were injured when protesters, who took to the streets on over the weekend after a fatal police shooting, threw bottles and rocks at them.

Chicago Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi wrote late Saturday night that officers cleared the scene. “Several officers were injured from rocks and thrown bottles,” and in all, four demonstrators were arrested, he said.

The man was shot in the South Shore neighborhood after police officers attempted to question him over the “bulge around his waistband,” suggesting he was armed, according to The Associated Press. Chicago police patrol chief Fred Waller said that the man was combative and ran from the officers.

“They thought he appeared to be reaching for a weapon, which he did have a weapon on him, and the officers tragically shot him,” he told AP. He was later pronounced dead.

Police said he had a semi-automatic weapon along with magazines of ammunition, the report said.

Elaborating further, Waller said that the man “started flailing and swinging away, trying to make an escape.” The man then “reached for the gun,” Waller continued, Reuters reported.

Waller told AP that the man didn’t have a concealed carry permit. “As we know now, he did not,” he explained.

The Chicago Tribune, citing the city’s medical examiner office, identified the man as 37-year-old Harith Augustus.

After his death, five hours of protests ensued in Chicago, the Tribune reported. Additional protests are slated for 5 p.m. on Sunday near Jeffrey Plaza.

In the protest, officials said three or four officers suffered minor injuries, and one patrol car was damaged. Four protesters were arrested, Reuters reported.

The officer who fatally shot the man will be placed on desk duty for 30 days, police said, adding that it’s standard procedure. Chicago’s Civilian Office of Police Accountability is investigating the shooting, according to the Tribune.

On Saturday, Chicago gun violence left two people dead, including a 16-year-old boy, on Saturday, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. At least 15 others were wounded across the city.