A sea snail hatched inside of a boy’s knee in Southern California, according to reports.
Paul Franklin of Aliso Viejo fell down and cut his knee on a rock during a vacation in Spooner’s Cove beach this year. A snail apparently got into the cut and laid an egg.
“It was just a little owie,” mother Rachael told the Orange County Register. “But one that kept seeping and never quite scabbed up.
The mother was worried the boy got a staff infection or worse, Gangrene.
“His knee was size of orange and hot to the touch and he’s limping,” she told CBS-2. “And I’m like, okay, we have to go to urgent care.”
The snail eventually hatched three weeks later. His mother squeezed his knee and the snail came out.
She said that the snail “looked like a rock.”
She added: “I put it on a paper towel and I’m like, ‘That is a weird looking rock. It has swirls on it.’ And I turn it over and it is a sea snail.”
The snail now lives in a small fishbowl and is named Dory.
But when the boy was having the problem, it was not so amusing.
“He was more freaked out than even I am,” Rachael told the Register. “It was no laughing matter, he told us. The infection could work its way into Paul’s bloodstream and cause all kinds of problems. Thinking it might be the superbug, he washed his hands, and made us wash ours right on the spot.”