Officer Shot 3 Times by Suspect Caught on Camera, Video Newly Released

August 11, 2017 Updated: August 11, 2017

Newly released video shows a South Carolina police officer being shot multiple times on New Year’s Day in 2016 while trying to stop a suspect.

The officer, Quincy Smith, was responding to a report of a suspicious person at a party shop in Hampton.

A clerk told Smith that a man wearing camouflage and a red bandana had tried to snatch groceries from customers.

Smith spotted a man who fit that description walking away from the store and pursued him.

He got out of his car and approached the man, asking him to stop and to take his hand out of his pocket.

The man, Malcolm Antwan Orr, was on his cell phone at the time, and kept one hand in the pocket of his hoodie, ignoring the officer’s requests.

When the officer got within a few feet of Orr and threatened to use a taser to subdue him, Orr pulled a gun out of his pocket and started firing at Smith.

Smith fell to the ground as several more shots rang out, but managed to get up and run to his car to radio for backup. Eight shots were fired in total, three of them hitting Smith.

In the recording of the radio dispatch, Smith can be heard saying, “Tell my family I love them.” 

Smith suffered two broken arm bones and a life threatening neck injury from the incident, according to South Carolina 14th District Solicitor’s Office in a press release.

Dr. James Dunne, the emergency room physician who treated Smith at Memorial Health Medical Center in Savannah, testified that a bullet completely severed a vein in the right side of Smith’s neck. A bullet also passed through Smith’s upper torso and was taken out of his back, the solicitor’s office said.

“If but not for the grace of God and some very good doctors, this would not only have been a murder case, but a death penalty case,” said 14th Circuit Solicitor Duffie Stone, who prosecuted the case.

Orr was convicted of attempted murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime and sentenced Wednesday, Aug. 9 to 35 years in prison, the maximum sentence for both crimes.

The Estill Police Department where Smith worked did not have body cameras. Smith had purchased a pair of glasses with video recording capability on the internet that caught the encounter on camera.

In his testimony during the trial, Smith called the glasses the best $30 he had ever spent.