Sandra Bullock Now Protected From Stalker

By Helena Zhu
Helena Zhu
Helena Zhu
August 7, 2010 Updated: October 1, 2015

Sandra Bullock accepts the MTV Generation Award onstage at the 2010 MTV Movie Awards held at the Gibson Amphitheatre at Universal Studios on June 6, 2010 in Universal City, California. (Christopher Polk/Getty Images)
Sandra Bullock accepts the MTV Generation Award onstage at the 2010 MTV Movie Awards held at the Gibson Amphitheatre at Universal Studios on June 6, 2010 in Universal City, California. (Christopher Polk/Getty Images)
Sandra Bullock was granted a three-year restraining order on Friday against a man named Thomas James Weldon, who allegedly stalked her.

A Los Angeles Superior Court judge granted the order, which bars Weldon from contacting or coming within 300 feet of the 46-year-old Academy Award-winning actress. The order also applies to Louis Bardo Bullock, an infant boy she is adopting, and the three children of her ex-husband Jesse James—Chandler, Jesse Jr., and Sunny—who occasionally stay with her, according to CBC News.

Bullock first got a retraining order against the man in 2003 when he began to stalk her. The order was extended but expired last year as Weldon was being held in a Tennessee mental hospital.

Upon his release earlier this year, he sent a few faxes and e-mails to Bullock and went to Jackson Hole, Wyo., in an alleged attempt to see the actress, Bullock’s lawyer Ed McPherson said.

Weldon, 46, was committed indefinitely to a state mental hospital in Wyoming on Tuesday.

"It's obvious that this fixation on her has not changed, despite seven years in hospital in Tennessee," he said at Friday's hearing.

Judge Carol Boas Goodson agreed.

"This is clearly a case of a fan going beyond being a fan," she said. "This is the downside of celebrity."

Helena Zhu