San Bernardino Shooters’ Former Neighbor to Face Criminal Charges
Charges are expected to be filed against Enrique Marquez, a former neighbor of Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik who bought two of the guns used in the San Bernardino terror attack.
Marquez purchased two rifles that were the main weapons used by Farook and Malik to kill 14 people and wound 21 others in the attack earlier this month.
Just hours after the attack, Marquez checked himself into a mental health facility although a friend of his argued that wasn’t an admission of guilt and Marquez in fact knew nothing of the attack.
But he later reportedly told officials that he and Farook had discussed planning a terror attack back in 2010, although they later decided against it after terrorism arrests in the area.
Federal prosecutors are now planning to bring charges against Marquez as soon as December 17, reported NBC.
Marquez told officials that he bought the rifles and then gave or sold them to Farook as a favor so that Farook would not have to go through a background check or be on record as the purchaser.
The charges brought against Marquez could range from lying on his application to buy the guns to conspiracy to commit an act of terrorism, legal experts told the Los Angeles Times.
“I think the guy is definitely facing some serious potential problems,” said UC Hastings law professor Rory Little, a former federal prosecutor. “The idea that he is talking to them without a lawyer makes everybody gasp.”