Recall Gascón Campaign Officially Restarts: ‘We’re Doubling Down on Everything’

By Jamie Joseph
Jamie Joseph
Jamie Joseph
Jamie Joseph is a California-based reporter for The Epoch Times. She is an avid tea drinker, foodie, and chronic reader of thriller novels.
September 16, 2021 Updated: September 19, 2021

When the effort to recall Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascón began in March, it was purely a victim-led effort made up of family members whose loved ones had been killed by convicted criminals. But now, it has grown to more than a few volunteers.

The grassroots effort, known as the Victims of Violent Crime for the Recall of District Attorney Gascón, collected 100,000 signatures in July. But as of September, there was a stall at 200,000 signatures. A total of 580,000 signatures are needed to trigger a recall election within 160 days of the petition-start date. So, the group decided to scrap the petition and start anew with a more established backing.

“We’re totally doubling down on everything, like this is not a give-up or anything like that,” recall spokesman Tim Lineberger told The Epoch Times. “All the victims that were supporting this effort, who have been outspoken about it, are in for this.”

Lineberger said many factors hindered the group from collecting the needed number of signatures, such as a lack of funds and COVID-19 pandemic restrictions. Now that the campaign has expanded its volunteer force, restarting the effort will allow the group to operate with more structure, he said.

“A lot of our donors have made really good commitments and are excited about the new strategy, so we have a lot of really good momentum that we’re excited about this move,” he said. “Our volunteer operation has improved significantly and will be in place from day one, rather than, again, piecemealing it together as we go along.”

Many of those convicted of crimes are being granted additional hearings under Gascón’s criminal justice reform policies. Critics of his progressive reforms say the “soft on crime” approach puts their communities in danger. Gascón was elected to a four-year term in the Nov. 3, 2020, nonpartisan general election, defeating incumbent district attorney Jackie Lacey with 53.5 percent of the vote.

Gascón remains confident in his policies, citing the public’s support that landed him in office.

In a previous interview with co-organizer of the recall effort, Desiree Andrade told The Epoch Times her son’s killers were facing the possibility of parole after Gascón ordered prosecutors to eradicate the three-strikes law, sentence enhancements and gang enhancements, and many misdemeanors including public intoxication, criminal threats, and resisting arrest.

“I believe that second chances are for … little things, not a murder,” Andrade said. “A murderer does not deserve a second chance. You took somebody’s life. That’s huge, you know. We’re not selling a lollipop here.”

As of July 25, 25 of the 88 cities in Los Angeles County voted “no confidence” in Gascón. Los Angeles Sheriff Alex Villanueva also expressed support for the recall effort.

Jamie Joseph
Jamie Joseph is a California-based reporter for The Epoch Times. She is an avid tea drinker, foodie, and chronic reader of thriller novels.