Pregnant Woman Survives Fall After Husband Shoves Her Off a 110-Foot Cliff

June 26, 2019 Updated: September 6, 2019

In what may have been an attempt at financial gain, a man has been arrested for an alleged murder attempt by pushing his pregnant wife off a cliff in northeastern Thailand, according to a report by Thai Media The Nation.

The woman, named Wang Nan, 32, survived from falling 110 feet (34 meters) off a cliff as she crashed through thick layers of tree branches, according to The Nation.

Wang, who is three months pregnant, was rescued and sent to the hospital on June 9. Her unborn child survived the fall, though she suffered severe injuries and multiple broken bones.

While in the hospital, Wang’s husband, Yu Xiaodong, threatened her. However, with an interpreter’s help, Wang reported the incident to the police.

Police arrested Yu on June 16 on charges of attempted murder, the report said.

The Chinese couple had been living in Bangkok for three years, and ran an import-export business between the two nations, according to The Nation. All of the income was kept in Wang’s name.

The two had been married for two years, according to The Nation. Yu had been in debt for three years.

The Shove From the Cliff

Wang and Yu had gone to watch the sunrise at the Pha Taem National Park in Ubon Ratchathani Province. Wang said there were about 10 other people there, and then they left after the sunrise had finished, according to The Beijing News.

Wang claims that her husband said he’d take her to see a 3,000 year old mural.

“Then he led me up to the edge of a cliff,” Wang told The Beijing News. “You could see really far, everything was in view.”

As they kept walking, Wang said that she couldn’t see a mural after a few minutes, and said she wanted to go back.

“There wasn’t a mural, and there wasn’t even a road,” Wang told The Beijing News. Yu said that the two could start walking back.

When they turned around to go back, Wang walked in front of Yu since the road was narrow. Then, he surprised her.

“He suddenly did a very romantic thing,” Wang told The Beijing News.

“He hugged me from behind and kissed me on my right cheek.” She said his hands then went from her waist up to her back.

“Then, with both hands, he forcefully and fiercely shoved me.”

Wang said he was extremely forceful, as the two were about 10 feet (3 meters) from the edge, and she screamed as he pushed her off the cliff.

Wang’s fall was broken by thick vegetation and tree branches, though she suffered severe injuries, according to The Nation.

After Wang hit the ground, she passed out. She was later found by a passing tourist, and taken to a hospital, the report said.

When she awoke in the hospital, she said the first person she saw was her husband.

“My first thought when I saw him was, why did you do that to me?” Wang told The Beijing News. “Why did you push me?”

Wang said Yu then began his performance. “‘My wife, what are you saying? Where did you go? I couldn’t find you,'” Wang told The Beijing News, repeating what he allegedly said to her.

But Wang did not go with his act. “There’s no one here who speaks Chinese, you don’t have to pretend,” Wang told The Beijing News. She said he immediately and directly admitted to what he did.

Yu said his reason was because of household issues, as well as debt problems. Wang said that her husband was deeply in debt three years prior. Wang estimated that he owed 2 million yuan ($290,000).

However, while in the hospital, an interpreter overheard Wang asking Yu why he pushed her. However, the female interpreter, who was not named in the report, did not speak to the police right away, as Yu had allegedly threatened to harm Wang if she reported the incident. Yu kept constant watch over his wife at the hospital.

Yu and Wang met 2 years ago. Wang helped her husband pay back some of his debt, about 500,000 yuan ($72,000).

Yu was said to have sought out his wife’s fortune, as all the assets from their business were in her name, according to The Nation.

When Wang’s condition stabilized, she asked the interpreter to help her contact the police and report Yu.

Police have sought an extension on Yu’s detention to allow for further investigation before his arraignment, the police chief in charge said, The Nation reported.