Police Release More Details on Missing Texas Girl

October 10, 2017 Updated: October 10, 2017

Police have revealed more details about a missing Texas girl who was sent outside at 3 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 7, for misbehaving.

Sherin Mathews, 3, went missing after her father, Wesley Mathews, told her to go outside and stand by a tree near their home because she wouldn’t drink her milk, WFAA reported.

Wesley was arrested by police after telling the officers that. He was charged with child endangerment and later posted bond.

About 15 minutes after he put her outside, he checked and noticed she was gone. He told cops that he searched the area near his home but couldn’t find her.

According to WFAA, he then went inside and did his laundry in the hopes she would return. But he didn’t notify police until five hours later.

Sgt. Kevin Perlich told AP that the five-hour wait until he notified local officials “is certainly concerning to us.”

“That does not seem like a normal response that one would do if you have a missing child,” Perlich added. “Why was the last sighting at 3 o’clock and the parents not call us until after 8 a.m., that’s the question we want answered as well,” Perilich also told NBC 5.

Wesley Mathews (Richardson Police Department)

In a police interview, he told officials that he saw coyotes in an alley where he saw Sherin. The home also is located near railroad tracks.

Police told the network that they’re trying to establish a timeline for what happened.

Sherin was last seen wearing black pajama bottoms and a pink top.

Police told The Associated Press that she suffers from a developmental disability and has difficulty communicating.

Investigators have seized three cars, cellphones, and laptops from the family to find out what happened to the girl. They’re also looking at security footage.

A 4-year-old child was removed by the Texas State Child Protective Services early Monday, said Perlich. Marissa Gonzales, a Child Protective Services spokesperson, said that the agency had dealings with the family in the past.

Mathews and his wife adopted the girl. He told investigators that it wasn’t unusual for her to wake up in the night to eat.

“We don’t have any other indication or evidence that she was forcibly abducted from that area,” Perlich said.