Police: Boy With Food Allergies Dies After Eating Cheese
A 13-year-old London boy was arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of another 13-year-old boy who died of an allergic reaction to cheese, the BBC reported.
The unnamed teen was held by police for an incident at William Perkin Church of England High School in Greenford, west London, on June. He’ll be held until late July.
Karanbir Cheema became ill and was hospitalized on June 28, according to The Independent newspaper.
His mother, Rina, told MailOnline: “What exactly happened I do not know.”
“I want answers, I want to get to the bottom of what happened, I will be asking the school if he was bullied but my son was very popular, you could not help but like that child, he never made enemies,” she said.
The Guardian reported that he was forced to eat a piece of cheese even though he had allergies.
Officers from Ealing borough police were called to the school after “became apparent that an incident had occurred which led to the boy coming into contact with the allergen,” police told the Guardian.
“We were in hospital I had to watch him die, no parent should have to go through that,” Karanbir’s father, Amarjeet, told the Evening Standard. “While he was in hospital we were fully concentrated on his condition. Now we want answers. How could this have happened?
“My son had allergies, but he was very careful. He had an allergy to dairy products but was good at avoiding them. I don’t how a piece of cheese hitting him could have killed him, it doesn’t make any sense. We have been told very little.”
But some students at the school had a different account of what happened. One student said the cheese was stuffed in his mouth—while another claimed it was only stuffed down his shirt. A mother of one of the students then claimed the children were having a food fight that got out of hand.
On social media, another student wrote after the incident that cheese was shoved down the teen’s throat.
“How can two idiots in my school stuff cheese down someone’s throat—knowing that they’re allergic to it, where’s the logic,” the post reads.