Pictures captured by a surveillance camera inside a Texas Walmart on Aug. 3 showed the man who is suspected of shooting dead over a dozen people before being captured.
The man, who is reportedly 21-year-old Patrick Crusius, is seen carrying a rifle into the Walmart.
He was wearing tan pants, a black t-shirt, safety glasses, and hearing protection.
The photographs were published by the KTSM broadcaster and have not been released publicly by the El Paso Police Department. KTSM said it obtained the photos from a law enforcement source.
Surveillance camera photo of alleged @CieloVistaMall shooter aired by @KTSMtv. pic.twitter.com/ezHUsAsav3
— Steve Herman (@W7VOA) August 3, 2019
The suspected shooter entered Walmart around 10 a.m. local time.
About an hour later, the department urged people to avoid the area, which includes the Cielo Vista Mall, as it responded to an active shooter situation.
Police said officers received multiple reports that there was more than one shooter but a police spokesman told reporters at a press conference Saturday afternoon that the initial investigation suggested there was only one.
“We don’t believe there’s anybody outstanding, so we are starting to secure the scene,” Enrique Carillo said.
He said 911 calls started flooding in, prompting law enforcement teams to respond to the Walmart. There were later reports of shooters inside the mall.
Carillo later said there were over 20 casualties—which can refer to dead or wounded—and KTSM reported that 18 people were shot dead.
A spokesman for University Medical Center of El Paso, Ryan Mielke, told the El Paso Times that the hospital had received 11 victims and expected to receive more.
Some of them were pronounced dead, he added.
From UMC where some of the injured in today’s shooting have been brought for treatment. @CrucesSunNews @elpasotimes pic.twitter.com/gF0JIHRVpI
— Bethany Freudenthal (@BethanyFreuden1) August 3, 2019
Video footage showed at least four ambulances near the Walmart and, later, multiple ambulances pulled into the hospital.
“Family members who are here may actually have family members at other hospitals, such as Del Sol,” Mielke added.
Del Sol Medical Center told Fox News at least six victims had been taken there, though it couldn’t provide information about their conditions.