NSW Health Minister: ‘Don’t Visit Victoria’ Particularly Melbourne Virus Hotspots

June 25, 2020 Updated: June 25, 2020

New South Wales residents are strongly advised not to travel to Victoria in response to the increase of COVID-19 cases in six Melbourne suburbs.

Despite only one community transmission case and three other positive cases from returning travellers, NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard sees a serious threat of a second wave and is taking action.

“This is no time for NSW residents to be complacent or cocky,” Hazzard said in a press conference on June 25.

Rather than closing borders and “put up walls” Hazzard is strongly advising people against travelling to the six Melbourne coronavirus hotspots of Brimbank, Hume, Casey, Moreland, Cardinia, and Darebin.

In a stern message, Hazzard said, “Don’t visit Victoria, don’t particularly visit Melbourne hotspots!”

He also discouraged Victorians from visiting regional NSW and Sydney.

Additionally, Victorian National Rugby League fans will be turned away from games at NSW stadiums for the next couple of weeks. Staff have been alerted to check driving licenses and turn away Victorians under the directive of state health guidelines.

People coming from Melbourne hotspots should self-quarantine for 14 days.

“Anyone who returns from Melbourne hotspots, including NSW residents, should not attend aged care facilities, hospitals, or other settings with vulnerable people, and should avoid gatherings outside of their immediate household for a period of 14 days,” NSW Health advised.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian told 2GB that businesses and tourist operators had been discouraged from welcoming people from the Melbourne CCP virus hotspots.

Calling Upon Multicultural Community

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard also announced at the press briefing on June 25 that the government will double its efforts to reach non-English speaking residents to ensure they get the message about avoiding travel to Victoria.

“We have a multicultural community who contribute incredibly to our nation, and we want to make sure we reach out to them out the best way they can …” Hazzard said.

“We want our multicultural community to be aware that they should also be sending the message to their family members in Victoria that now is not the right time,” he added.

NSW Multicultural Health Communication Service has released a series of notices in various languages in a bid to reach non-English speakers.

A Facebook post reads, “Thinking of going to Melbourne? Think again. Keep yourself and your loved ones safe.”