Police in Seychelles did not find illicit drugs inside the Korkki sisters’ hotel room where they were both found dead two weeks ago.
Jean Toussaint, a Seychelles police spokesman, confirmed the development in an email to NBC News.
“Items of interest found in the Korkkis’ room includes alcohol and different types of medications,” Toussaint told the news outlet. “No illegal drugs were found in the sisters’ room.”
Annie, 37, and her sister Robin, 42, traveled to Seychelles, an island located more than 900 miles off Africa’s east coast in the Indian Ocean on Sept. 15 and were scheduled to leave on Sept. 24, they had extended their trip.
The pair were found unresponsive in their villa at the Maia Luxury Resort and Spa on Sept. 22. A butler assigned to their room contacted authorities after he noticed no movement in their room during the entire day. The sisters had been drinking on Wednesday—and it would be the last time anyone would see them alive.
Autopsies determined that the two Minnesota natives died from acute pulmonary edema. Their bodies showed no visible signs of trauma. Dr. Patrick Lank, a Northwestern Medicine assistant professor of emergency medicine in Chicago said many factors can contribute to an acute pulmonary edema.
“Two people at the same time is odd,” Lank said. “It suggests more of a toxicologic or environmental cause, or a potential infection if they’re traveling together.”
The sudden deaths of the sisters have shocked the Korkki family who have said they haven’t been given many details about the deaths of their loved ones.
“At this point, the only details we know are the articles flying around online,” brother Chris Korkki told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “My mom has been talking with people from the U.S. Embassy. I don’t think they’ve provided her with any information.”
He added, “Two things keep going through my mind: This isn’t happening, and we just want answers.”
Annie worked at JPMorgan Chase in Denver, and Robin was a financial trader in Chicago.