There’s been a spate of rumors that Google is looking to release another tablet, with it possibly having the moniker Nexus 8 or Nexus 9.
The Nexus 7 was first released in 2012, while another variant was released again in 2013. Both came out over the summer
However, the majority of the Nexus 7 models have disappeared from Google Play. The Nexus 7 32GB WiFi+ model is still on sale, according to GottaBeMobile.
According to Android Origin, this has happened in the past. “However, we have recently noticed that all of the 2013 Nexus 7 variants, except the 32GB LTE Unlocked, are currently out of stock in the Google Play Store. They could end up restocking but this could also mean the arrival of the Google Nexus 8 (or Nexus 9),” the the blog writes.
It also noted that last year’s Nexus 7 was released about a month after the Google I/O developer conference, which was in late June this year.
The latest speculative reports indicate that the Nexus 8 will have an 8.9-inch display, a resolution of 2048 x 1440 pixels, and the NVIDIA Tegra K1 processor. It will also likely have 2 GB of RAM.
Groups hope for more flexibility in ‘Google money’
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Law enforcement agencies and community groups in Rhode Island said they are hopeful there will be more flexibility in how to spend $230 million in what’s known in Rhode Island as “Google money” — which Google forfeited in a federal investigation into search engine ads for illegal prescription drug sales.
The U.S. Department of Justice loosened some of the restrictions July 30 on how the money can be spent. While the agencies all said they were still reviewing the changes, several agencies and community groups who hope to benefit from the money said the changes were good news. Several groups said they want to see a significant portion of the money used to help inner-city communities.
Five state and local agencies are entitled to the money because they helped in the investigation: the police departments in North Providence and East Providence, the Rhode Island attorney general’s office, state police and the National Guard. Their work helped the Justice Department secure a 2011 agreement with the search engine giant to forfeit $500 million.
The Department of Justice administers the money and must approve all the spending. Among the restrictions, the money must be used for law enforcement purposes and can’t be used to pay most salaries. It’s part of a larger Justice Department program to share forfeited assets with law enforcement agencies that help in investigations.
While the agencies say they are grateful for the money, some have said it’s been difficult at times to navigate the restrictions, especially considering that several of them received sums that dwarfed their annual budgets. North Providence, for example, received $60 million, 10 times its annual police department budget. The attorney general’s office also received $60 million, twice its annual budget.