The Victorian government is set to ease CCP virus restrictions in the southern Australian state after health authorities recorded only three new locally acquired cases.
From midnight on Thursday, the 25km travel limit will end, and people from Melbourne will be allowed to travel into regional areas.
In the greater Melbourne area, masks will only be mandatory outdoors when social distancing isn’t possible, but they are still required indoors. Meanwhile, homes in Melbourne can have two visitors plus their dependents per day.
Up to 20 people will be allowed to gather in public, with gyms, indoor entertainment facilities, and electronic gaming venues set to open with some density limits.
Workers may return to their office space, but it is capped at 50 percent, or up to 20 people, whichever is greater.
Community sports competitions can resume, but no spectators are allowed; meanwhile, funerals may be attended by 75 people, with 50 allowed for weddings.
In regional Victoria, up to five adults may visit at home plus their dependents, with public gatherings capped at 50 people.
People looking to enjoy a meal out or coffee can do so again at restaurants and cafes, but customers are capped at 300 per venue for seated service.
Meanwhile, religious ceremonies have been capped at 300 people, while 100 people can attend funerals and 50 at weddings.
Regional workplaces can have up to 75 percent of employees back in the office, or 30 people, whichever is greater.
These modified restrictions will be in place for the next week, with slightly stronger measures remaining for Melbourne compared to regional areas.
But anyone from Melbourne wanting to travel to the snow will need to have a COVID-19 test within 72 hours of heading to the state’s alpine resorts.
The Health Department confirmed five new local COVID-19 cases were recorded in the 24 hours to Wednesday morning, two of which had already been announced.
The three new locally acquired cases are all linked to known outbreaks, the department said.
The two other cases, which were announced on Tuesday, are residents of the Kings Park Apartment Complex at Southbank.
The complex has been locked down for 14 days after a total of six residents, including an infant, became infected with COVID-19.
Health Minister Martin Foley on Tuesday said the further potential easing of restrictions remained a “day-by-day proposition.”
Meanwhile, walk-in Pfizer vaccinations at Victoria’s state-run hubs have been paused for the rest of the week in an attempt to preserve supply for already booked first and second doses.
AAP contributed to this report.