New Order Bans ‘Travel Between Residences’ in Michigan

April 9, 2020 Updated: April 9, 2020

Michigan banned “travel between residences” amid the CCP virus pandemic, according to the governor’s office.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued the new rule change on Thursday, and it will go into effect starting on Saturday morning.

It means residents will now have until April 10 to go to another residence in the state. After that point, the travel will be deemed unnecessary until her order expires, according to the Detroit Free Press and an order that she signed (pdf).

“Between two residences in this state, through April 10, 2020. After that date, travel between two residences is not permitted,” the new order reads.

The exceptions include caring for an elderly parent or relative, caring for a pet, visiting a nursing home or a similar facility, attending a funeral with no more than 10 people, and complying with a court order related to child custody.

“All public and private gatherings of any size are prohibited,” Whitmer said during a news conference on Thursday. “People can still leave the house for outdoor activities,” she said, adding that “recreational activities are still permitted as long as they’re taking place outside of six feet from anyone else.”

Epoch Times Photo
A bus driver for the Detroit, Michigan city bus line DDOT poses for a photo in Detroit, Michigan, on March 24, 2020. (Seth Herald/AFP/Getty Images)

People can still travel to other residences outside the state. Her order, however, stipulated that residents or anyone else cannot travel to cottages or vacation rentals in Michigan.

“If we don’t get the health crisis under control, the economic crisis will go on and on,” Whitmer said, the paper reported.

“I know it’s taken a toll and I know it’s hard, but we also know that we are still on the upward swing” of the virus spread, she also told WOOD-TV. “It’s really important that we continue to double down on mitigation and protecting folks by staying home.”

The state’s stay-at home order, which started March 23, was originally scheduled to stay in effect until April 14. The new order will extend until the end of April.

So far, more than 21,000 cases of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) virus have been confirmed in the state as of Thursday, according to health officials. More than 1,000 deaths have been reported.

“It’s contrary to the ‘stay home stay safe order.’ Frankly, the benefit from social mitigation is real. We’re only a couple weeks into it and it feels like an eternity, I know,” Whitmer said on Wednesday. “And it’s hard for people to be physically distant from loved ones and friends and, and work, even.”