Naval Academy Plans to Charge Three Football Players with Sexual Assault

June 17, 2013 Updated: July 18, 2015

An investigation after a female midshipman reported she was sexually assaulted by three football players last year will culminate in charges against the three players.

Naval Academy spokesman Commander John Schofield told Military.com, which reports on military news, that the three football players will face an Article 32 hearing, which requires charges be issued.

The reported assault happened during an off-campus party at a place known as the “football house” in Annapolis, Maryland in April 2012, according to Susan Burke, the lawyer representing the alleged victim.

No one involved in the case (the players who will be charged or the person bringing the charges) has been named yet. 

The woman who is reported the assault told WJZ-TV, a local broadcaster, that she blacked out that night but people told her that she had been raped, and that the attackers bragged about it to people, including her. 

Follow Zachary on Twitter: @zackstieber
RECOMMENDED