‘My Dog Is Everything to Me’: Australian Man Rushes Into Burning Home to Rescue His Dog

August 2, 2019 Updated: August 6, 2019

What would you do if you got home from the store and saw that your home was in flames—with your beloved pet trapped inside?

That’s exactly what happened when Australian homeowner Mark Woodbury went out to shop for some groceries back in June of 2015.

Woodbury returned home to the horrifying sight of flames billowing from his residence. But despite the undoubted terror he felt when he saw the state of his home, the Rutherford, New South Wales, resident knew that he couldn’t just wait around outside. He hadn’t spotted his dog, a German shepherd rescue named Ditch, and knew that he would be distraught if the pup didn’t survive the inferno.

“The first thing I thought of was  Ditch. There was no way I was going to let my dog burn to death.”

Illustration – Shutterstock | David Fossler

The Maitland Mercury reported the incredibly brave ordeal, explaining that Woodbury had to pass through the home three times to find Ditch because the smoke was so thick.

Luckily, though, his third pass through finally resulted in him bumping his foot against the dog—which had already passed out from smoke inhalation—and he was able to carry him outside to safety.

The adorable four-legged friend was treated by a paramedic, who took over from Woodbury’s resuscitation efforts to use an oxygen mask in order to revive the dog. From there, he was taken to a veterinary hospital, where he was able to make a full and happy recovery.

Some might think it insane to rush into a burning building, but Woodbury insisted that he was willing to take some seriously extreme steps just to make sure Ditch was safe.

In news today:* A Rutherford man ran into a burning building to save his beloved dog Ditch* Maitland labelled a…

تم النشر بواسطة ‏‎The Maitland Mercury‎‏ في الثلاثاء، ٢١ يوليو ٢٠١٥

This man ran into an inferno three times to save his dog and then paramedics brought the rescued dog back to life.Read the full story http://bit.ly/1g2Pg0C

تم النشر بواسطة ‏‎The Maitland Mercury‎‏ في الثلاثاء، ٢١ يوليو ٢٠١٥

“My dog is everything to me,” Mr. Woodbury said in an interview with the Maitland Mercury.

“I’ve lost all of my kitchen, all of my appliances, my laundry, my furniture, but it’s my dog, that’s the important thing. He would have died in there if I hadn’t gone in.”

Dogs can often be the heroes in stories about home fires, with tales of the loyal pets waking up owners and children to get them to safety and barking to get the attention of rescuers. But we often forget that sometimes, they can be the victims in need of rescuing too—so it’s incredibly uplifting to see that a pet owner was willing to go as far to rescue his dog as his dog would undoubtedly go for him.

Illustration – Shutterstock | CloudOnePhoto

This isn’t the first time that a human was willing to put their life on the line for furry friends; in New York this past winter, rescuers formed a human chain in order to get 100 pups to safety when a pet store caught fire.

But in a world where pets are sometimes willfully abandoned during major catastrophes, it’s still nice to re-read stories about the people who do the opposite. Where some are willing to drive away without their furry friends in the face of disaster, this man ran straight into the inferno to save his friend.

It’s only fair considering all of the loyalty man’s best friend shows us, and here’s the video to prove it:

Video: Heroic Dachshunds Sacrifice Own Lives to Kill Cobra Trying to Enter Home Where Baby Slept

Two scrappy dachshunds defend a 1-year-old baby against one of the most venomous snakes on Earth. Sounds like the plot to an insane cartoon, but it’s an accurate description of what unfolded in Jaime Selim’s front garden in Kidapawan City, in the Philippines.

CCTV footage captured the exact moment Moxie, a white 2-year-old dachshund, sensed danger.

A second dog, Moxie, was blinded in her attempt to save the child from a cobra attack caught on CCTV. We don't deserve dogs.

تم النشر بواسطة ‏‎UNILAD‎‏ في الثلاثاء، ٢٣ يوليو ٢٠١٩

The trespasser, identified as a monocled cobra, not only slithered in uninvited but brought enough poison with it to sink a fully grown human. Just a tiny prick of a bite could be deadly if left untreated. Not only that, this particular species is able to spit fast-acting toxic venom. No wonder it is feared all over South and Southeast Asia.

Back to the action. Quickly, Moxie’s big sister Miley leapt in full speed towards an intruder that had slipped onto the property.

Instantly agitated, the snake went nuts. Flailing wildly about, fangs snapping, Miley, a 4-year-old black dachshund, wasted zero time trying to take out the enemy.

What ensued can only be described as fearless and heroic mayhem. Moxie and Miley took turns nipping at, biting, and whipping the snake around the yard. Although outnumbered, the agile cobra displayed a lightning-fast and potentially deadly counter. It weaved like a slippery noodle in between each attack.

For two long minutes, all three animals frantically danced, barked, and hissed. At one point, the cobra made a fast attempt to shoot past the dogs in the direction of the house where, inside, baby Skye Selim slept. Contact with the monocled cobra’s toxic venom would be absolutely fatal for a 1-year-old baby. Luckily for her, these two family pets had transformed into full-blown guard dogs.

Relentless in their defense, Moxie and Miley managed to steer the snake away from the house. After repeated dog bites and being whipped around, the snake’s movements soon began to slow—although the snake had gotten in a few shots of its own.

Eventually, the cobra was left twitching in the concrete in its death throes. And then with one final flop across the yard, it was done.

Team dachshund had won, but not without tragic consequences.

VIDEO: This is the heroic moment two pet dogs sacrificed themselves to stop a deadly cobra getting in the house while a baby slept.

تم النشر بواسطة ‏‎Yahoo Philippines‎‏ في الأربعاء، ٢٤ يوليو ٢٠١٩

Following all the commotion, Skye’s babysitter stepped outside to an inexplicable scene: a monocled cobra dead on the ground, beside it, the lifeless body of Miley. Sadly, she had suffered several bites during the fight and succumbed to her injuries shortly thereafter.

Moxie’s eyes were permanently blinded by the sprayed venom. The fearlessness and bravery of Miley and Moxie’s sacrifice is a testament to their heroism and loyalty.

Upon viewing the CCTV footage, Jaime and his wife, Pauie, expressed immense gratitude and pride for their pets. By quickly and effectively following their instinct, they prevented the snake from entering their home and attacking their baby. Not too many people on the planet can say they owe their life to two protective wiener dogs; Sky Selim might even be the first.

RECOMMENDED
TOP VIDEOS