The Epoch Times refers to the novel coronavirus, which causes the disease COVID-19, as the CCP virus because the Chinese Communist Party’s coverup and mismanagement allowed the virus to spread throughout China and create a global pandemic.
The palace, in an online statement Thursday, said that he tested positive for the virus earlier in the week. The 62-year-old prince is now being monitored by a team at Princess Grace Hospital.
Prince Albert will continue to lead the small European nation while working from his home office, according to the palace.
Doctors said that they have no concerns with regard to his health.
“His Serene Highness urges the people of Monaco to respect shelter-in-place orders and to abide with social-distancing rules,” their statement said, according to a translation. “Respecting these measures is the only way to contain the spread of coronavirus.”
Prince Albert appears to be the only member of any royal family worldwide to have contracted the CCP virus, which first emerged in Wuhan, China, last year. He is also the first head of state to contract the virus.
Prince Albert is the son of Prince Rainier III and Princess Grace, who was once known as Grace Kelly, and he has ruled over Monaco since 2005. He and his wife, Charlene Wittstock, have two 5-year-old twins.
Monaco has a population of around 40,000, and has at least seven confirmed cases, according to researchers.