Mom Dies Nearly 2 Years After Arson Attack That Killed Her Four Children

August 28, 2019 Updated: August 28, 2019

A United Kingdom mother who lost four of her five children in an arson attack that left her with most of her body covered in burns has died.

The Metro reported that Michelle Pearson died 20 months after the attack, and she remained in the hospital since then, reported The Independent. She was told of the deaths of her children while she was in the hospital.

Pearson’s mother, Sandra Lever, wrote on Facebook: “Sadly last night, after a hard 20 months of fighting, our beautiful Michelle gained her wings and went to join her babies.”

According to the report, Pearson had made progress with her recovery since the incident that occurred in December 2017. However, her health worsened in June 2019.

Her children—Demi, 15, Brandon, 8, Lacie, 7, and Lia, 3, were all asleep when the fire was set.

Zak Bolland and David Worral were convicted of murder in 2018. They were accused of throwing Molotov cocktails into Pearson’s home.

Pearson woke up and yelled, “Not the kids! Not my kids!” She then called emergency services but couldn’t complete the call.

According to the Independent, prosecutors said that the suspects were drunk and on drugs when they threw the lite bottles filled with gasoline into the home at around 5 a.m.

“We are all incredibly upset to learn of Michelle‘s passing, 20 months on from this tragic incident,” said Leon Parkes, a fire officer with Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.

He added: “I would like to extend our condolences to her friends and family and to those in the community in Walkden who have been affected in what must be a tremendously difficult time.”

Two years ago, Lever posted a heartbreaking message on Facebook following the news that her 3-year-old granddaughter, Lia had passed away. “Just letting everyone know they just turned life machine of on Lia, she passed away peacefully… beautiful granddaughter, go find your brother, 2 sisters… love you all so much,” she wrote.

23 Dead in Firebomb Attack

At least 23 people were killed and another 13 people were injured during an attack on a bar near Coatzacoalcos along the Gulf coast on Aug. 28.

At least 23 people were killed and another 13 people were injured during an attack on a bar near Coatzacoalcos along the Gulf coast on Aug. 28. (Google Maps)

The armed assailants started a fire that ravaged the bar, killing 15 men and eight women in the process, said the Attorney General of the State of Veracruz.

The bar was shot up and Molotov cocktails were tossed in the bar, the BBC also reported. Ambulances and police were seen gathering in the street following the blaze.

The attorney general said that it “strongly condemns the unfortunate events in southern Veracruz.”

The attorney general’s office will now attempt to investigate the “origin of the fire that occurred,” according to the state office.

RECOMMENDED